Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Activities for Kinder-1st graders?

Early Childhood

Activities for Kinder-1st graders?

Author Post
Josie Calderon Erika Ramirez 410 Points

Hello everyone! What are a few different hands-on activities that would be fun that can introduce them to the different patterns of the weather we have? 

Kristine Rowland Kristine Rowland 2290 Points

My first thought was I live in Georgia. We only have hot and hotter, until we finally get to winter. LOL However, it might be fun to bring in different weather related clothing items and props. For example: gloves, mittens, hats, scarf, sun visor, rain boots, umbrella, flip flops, etc. If you have a helper or student of the day, they get to check the weather and decide from the items what would be appropriate. Then you could chart the weather each month. After collecting several months of data, the students can compare charts and look for repititions or patterns.

Veronica Ortega Veronica Ortega 260 Points

I think another good idea is to talk about different food or drinks for different weather. Maybe bringing in some warm cocoa (not hot of course), or some cool watermelon would be good ideas to talk about the weather and the food, snacks or drinks our students like. 

Meredith Patterson Meredith Patterson 1015 Points

In kindergarten we chart our weather pattern daily in our calendar time and graph - This provides students with a visual representation of weather patterns we see each month and see the changes in our weather patterns. Even charting our clothing changes in seasons is a neat way to describe weather patterns to a child in Kindergarten. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers