Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Phases of the Moon

Earth and Space Science

Phases of the Moon

Author Post
Rachel Pacheco Rachel Pacheco 455 Points

I am currently writing a lesson plan on the phases of the moon for fourth grade. Within the lesson, I am trying to find an engaging way to hook students, but am having trouble coming up with an engaging, fun way to introduce the phases to students. Any ideas? Thanks!

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

Hi Rachel,
There seems to be a lot of interest in moon phases this week! After all, I guess it was the full moon last week. Maybe that explains it!

Anyway, rather than go into a lot of discussion here, I would like to suggest that you take a look at the discussion posted here: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/discuss/default.aspx?tid=uDDCQYwyJgQ_E#35445. There is a really good discussion underway at that site.

Good luck with the lesson plan!

Rachel Pacheco Rachel Pacheco 455 Points

Thank you so much, Jennifer. I will check the thread. Thanks for your time. -Rachel

Whitney Aragaki Whitney Aragaki 2490 Points

An interesting part of moon phases is the importance of the phases in different cultures. Multiple languages and cultures have specific words for the moon phases, which represent different parts of the subsistence cultures of indigenous peoples. If you have a multicultural classroom, it might be interesting to bring in what the moon phases represent to different peoples.

Estefania Agreda Estefania Agreda 3915 Points

I find that the best way to engage your students into any lesson, regardless of the grade level, is to start with the classic Oreo cookie moon phase activity. It may seem a little childish at a 4th grade level, but I'm sure any kid can appreciate a little snack motivation. I just did the activity with my Kindergarten kids, and they loved it. It seems to me that starting off a lesson with a fun activity is always guaranteed to get the kids engaged.

Estefania Agreda Estefania Agreda 3915 Points

I find that the best way to engage your students into any lesson, regardless of the grade level, is to start with the classic Oreo cookie moon phase activity. It may seem a little childish at a 4th grade level, but I'm sure any kid can appreciate a little snack motivation. I just did the activity with my Kindergarten kids, and they loved it. It seems to me that starting off a lesson with a fun activity is always guaranteed to get the kids engaged.

Mitchell Miho Mitchell Miho 3090 Points

Rachel, The lesson i did for moon phases was simple and engaging for 8th graders because it dealt with Oreos, or any other type of cookies that you can separate and carve the cream section. If you do an overview of the moon phases prior to the Oreo lesson, you can assess whether or not your students paid attention or took good notes/drawings by whether or not they can recreate the different phases of the moon on their Oreo's. All you need is plates, a spoon or plastic knife to carve and cookies.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers