Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Early Childhood science?

Early Childhood

Early Childhood science?

Author Post
Ruby Sifuentes Ruby Sifuentes 200 Points

At what age should we begin to teach science?

Eboni Washington Eboni Washington 480 Points

I think students are naturally curious about thinks and science helps develop their curiosity through exploring. Science is all around us everyday and we can utilize that to get kids to explore and become engage. I believe you can start teaching science to children as early as 3-4 yr olds.

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

When we hold a newborn child and talk to the baby about the sensations being experienced, and every day after that as the child has experiences and begins to communicate about observations, questions, and ideas.

Fei Zhao fei zhao 210 Points

We should start teaching science to children at an early age (as early as 2-3 years old). Young children are hands-on learners. They throw themselves into physical play, which is the most effective way for them to learn. Learning through play is a perfect opportunity for these kinesthetic and tactile learners to experiment with simple scientific experiments until adolescence, because young children are already ready and eager to dig in. Science also allows young children to develop life skills. Science allows young children to develop life skills. Scientific inquiry requires communication, perseverance, organization, and attention to detail. All of these are skills that early childhood educators long to cultivate in their students.

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Ruby--

Actually it's never too early to start. Children are naturally curious about the world around them, and what adults often would consider 'play' is actually children exploring. You may want to look at the 'Early Years' columns in NSTA's Science and Children Journal for lesson ideas that capitalize on young children's curiosity. Here is an example.

Mary B

McKenzie Erisman McKenzie Erisman 215 Points

It is never too early to start teaching science. Science is all around us and children, of every age, need to be aware of what is going on around them. I believe as early as pre-school or kindergarten is a great time to start exploring and showing students how things like rocks on the playground, or wind, or even the colors they are seeing can be connected to science. Hopefully starting them off early will create a love for science that will grow as they get older.

McKenzie Erisman McKenzie Erisman 215 Points

It is never too early to start teaching science. Science is all around us and children, of every age, need to be aware of what is going on around them. I believe as early as pre-school or kindergarten is a great time to start exploring and showing students how things like rocks on the playground, or wind, or even the colors they are seeing can be connected to science. Hopefully starting them off early will create a love for science that will grow as they get older.

Taylor Charlton Taylor Charlton 535 Points

Children are naturally curious learners, and because of this I believe they should begin learning as early as preschool. Students should be able to learn about what is going on around them. For example, they may wonder "why does it rains?", "how do plants grow?", and "why do we eat food?". Questions like these may ignite learning about science. Science also allows students to learn life skill the may not be able to learn in other subjects.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers