Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Children's Literature

Early Childhood

Children's Literature

Author Post
Brianda Garcia Brianda Garcia 155 Points

Hello everyone,

I am a student from the University of Houston Downtown. I recently worked on a project where we combined Literature and Science. I decided to do my lesson on natural disasters. Natural disasters happen all the time this is the reason why I decided to focus my lesson on this topic. I used the book, Natural Disasters to introduce the topic, then the students are supposed to work in groups and do a research on natural disasters.I hope this idea can help someone with one of their lessons.

Sincerely,

Bri Garcia

Lindsey Alaniz Lindsey Alaniz 180 Points

Hello Brianda,

I think it is great that you are incorporating literature and science together. I am a student from the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and this personal idea/experience will very much come in handy for future reference. By any chance, what is the author of the book you used in your lesson?

Lindsey 

Lillian Estrada Lillian Estrada 170 Points

Hi Bri, 

I really like this idea and I think it is a great way to get students to learn about natural disasters. Having them do research on the disasters, after having read a book to them, is a perfect way for them to find out things for themselves as opposed to you giving them all of the information. This way, the studnts are able to remember the information a lot more than just doing a worksheet. Thank you for sharing!

Melanie Bajo Melanie Bajo 285 Points

Hello,

It is such a great idea to combine literature into a science lesson. I am also a current university student, studying early childhood education. I would love to hear more about how you successfully added literature to your lesson. Thank you for the great idea, I will be sure to use this in the future. 

Grace Andreassen Grace Andreassen 3045 Points

Hi,

I am also a preservice teacher at a university! Literature is one of my favorite subject areas and I enjoy integrated it into all content areas. There are so many books avaible to us that teach about science! There are so many resources online that can help you with integrating literature into science lessons! Here is a helpful website: https://www.weareteachers.com/science-books-for-kids/ 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers