Forums

Forums / Distance Learning / How to Engage with Distance Learning

Distance Learning

How to Engage with Distance Learning

Author Post
Sophia Harding Sophia Harding 170 Points

As we know, distance and online learning is much different then learning in the classroom and can be difficult at times. In the classroom you are in person, so you have the ability to make sure the students are engaged and paying attention. But on an online platform, like zoom, it can be harder, as you do not have as much impact. Though there are still many ways to keep children engaged. First off, right from the start you must be enthusiastic, excited and grab their attention the second they enter. Also, there are various engaging quizes, games, challenges, and more. You can use a game where every single one of the students has to participate from their computer by entering a code so you know they are in. Even making it a race or challenge always engages young students more because they always love a competition. You can also have them use sources that allow them to go on a virtual field trip that lets them explore and find different things. 

Eliza McFadden Eliza McFadden 770 Points

I completely agree with this post. Engagement from a distance is very hard, and worse yet it is still new to educators. There has been a plethora of time spent understanding classroom management and engagement in an in-person classroom, but with remote learning still so new there are fewer evidence-based practices about engagement. I am a college student who is looking to become a teacher, being this age gives me a different perspective on teaching remotely as I have been both a student and a teacher in this new era of education. One thing, from a student lens, that I have found keeps me engaged in the material is when the content is fast-paced and there are constant surprises during meetings. Instead of taking remote notes for an hour and a half - provide notes to students and have students work in pairs on a jam-board or discussion post - then bring the class back together to discuss responses. Doing this provides a chance for students to engage with the learning material and provide informal formative assessments to see where they are in understanding of material. Jamboard has by far been one of my favorite interactive tools for online learning. Another thing that I feel would be beneficial for students, from a teacher's lens, is providing fun brain breaks and opportunities for fun and easy extra credit. By providing a motive to stay engaged, students are much more likely to. 

I am curious to see how online learning changed and will gain traction in the next decade. Does anyone else have specific platforms or activities they believe could help enforce classroom engagement?

Duncan Allan Duncan Allan 155 Points

I've been wondering about the teacher aspect of this now that I've started my journey to become a teacher. In my classes and in the literature, I've seen and heard that student engagement is the key to many aspects of teaching and I feel like this was and is a challenge with distance learning. I wonder how the use of online quizes or games affects learning though, since these don't seem like activities that could be done for every lesson.

Desaree Guajardo Desaree Guajardo 640 Points

Hello Sophia, I agree with your forum, despite how difficult it can be to study and teach online, there some many interesting ways and activities that can make an online class fun with learning and participation at the same time. By teaching online it can allow the students to feel comfortable when learning and allow the student to see that learning can be fun.

Hi Sophia! Definitely, online learning does not guarantee that students are 100% paying attention to what is being taught. In person learning like mentioned, teachers are able to see if students are paying attention and if they need help. Even tho they are ways to engage students both online and in person with similar activities, in person activities are far more effective as students are collaborating with their classmates and moving around. 

Laura Resendiz Laura Resendiz 440 Points

Hello, I agree with your comment, despite how difficult it can be to study and teach online, there are many interesting ways and activities that can make an online class fun with learning and participation at the same time.

Desaree Guajardo Desaree Guajardo 640 Points

Hello Duncan, I agree with your forum, despite how difficult it can be to study and teach online, there some many interesting ways and activities that can make an online class fun with learning and participation at the same time. By teaching online it can allow the students to feel comfortable when learning and allow the student to see that learning can be fun.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers