Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Science in the Pre-K Classroom

Early Childhood

Science in the Pre-K Classroom

Author Post
Stephanie Graham Stephanie Graham 1945 Points

Hello all! A Proud Pre-K teacher here! What is your favorite Science activity to implement into the Pre-K Classroom?

Janie Perales Janie Perales 560 Points

I really enjoy doing creative activities with the life cycle of animals with this age group. Particularly the butterfly, frog and chicken. For the Butterfly life cycle we sometimes are able to hatch real butterflies using a kit. Kids love this and so do I. 

Alexa Vasquez Alexa Vasquez 420 Points

Hello, I am currently a long term substitue in a Pre-k classroom. A science acitivty/ experiment that my kids enjoy was ' Sink or Float'. This activty was very fun for the children and it was easy for us to set up in the classroom. We filled up a tub of water and then allowed the children to drop in items to see what items sunk and which would float. 

Paulina Hernandez Paulina Hernandez 390 Points

Hello. I am currently working as a Pre-Kindergarten Teacher Assistant and my students loved learning about the seasons of the year through organizing picture cards. The students were divided into groups and were given pictures cards that represented different clothing items, activities, foods, and physical environments that represented each of the four seasons. They then had to organize the cards into four sections, which each section representing a different season, and had to come up in front of the class to organize them on a large pocket chart.

Riley Kammeyer Riley Kammeyer 978 Points

Hello! I am a 4th year student at Wartburg College and I also work at a local preschool. The preschool teacher just recieved a STEM water table that comes with guided lessons and materials and the students love it. They are so engaged with it and you can create different themes throughout the year too. Hopefully this is helpful. We also have a local county conservationist come in once a month and talk about any given topic. The most recent one was fall themed such as 'Squirrels and Acorns' and the students loved it. Thanks!

Marijess Ramos Marijess Ramos 470 Points

My favorite activity in Pre-K was learning about the life cycle of a butterfly my class even went on a field trip to a butterfly farm to see them in action. 

Marissa Balboa Marissa Balboa 855 Points

Hello Marijess Ramos, the life cycle activities were always a top hit in elementary schools. Im glad your class got to go on a field trip to a butterfly farm

Alexa Vasquez Alexa Vasquez 420 Points

Hello I am currently a soon to be teachers aide at a elementary school that has a focus on STEAM. What are some activites you reccomend for children in PRE-K that can be engaging for them without being to difficult?

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers