Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Science in the Virtual World

Early Childhood

Science in the Virtual World

Author Post
Meghan Welsh Meghan Welsh 200 Points

Hello! I'm currently in a first-grade classroom as a placement for observations this semester and didn't realize until now, how little science is actually taught in these younger classrooms. I luckily got to see the students participate in a little bit of science by looking at the life cycle of butterflies and being able to actually have butterflies in their classroom, but during this time they had a lot of snow days which led to virtual school days. This led me to think, how do you go about teaching science through zoom or other online classes? Where do you go to find good resources that would make science interesting and fun online when you can't do things in person? Thank you in advance for any recommendations or information!

Ashleigh Wills Ashleigh Wills 1495 Points

I agree! Maybe more visual examples and a lot of interactive labs and discussions.

Lindsey Franco Lindsey Franco 475 Points

Hello! I'm a student in the Education program and honestly learning through zoom is tough but there are still ways that the students become more engaged in learning the topic in many ways for example creating interactive powerpoints that will allow for them to see it as a fun thing to do. Another thing to look for would be educational websites that go over the lesson that you are teaching so that after class they are able to work alongside an adult to further gain knowledge. 

Maria Bulnes Maria Bulnes 450 Points

Hello! I'm currently an Education Major and this question has been on my mind since the pandemic started. I, personally, tend to do better with online classes versus in person classes. When I'm at home, I get to do what I need to do to make sure that I retain all the information given to me; color coding, making charts, doing sketches for certain classes, etc. I noticed that my little cousins were having a hard time learning their own work and fighting to stay away during their classes. I decided to look over their schedules, find out what they were doing on certain days to see if I could do for them what I do for myself. I used pintrest for some ideas and this website called 'Blooming Brilliant Resource Library'. It had fun and amazing learning activities that helped me help them during their zoom classes. 

Jonathan Fisher Jonathan Fisher 60 Points

Hi! A bit late on this thread, but the pandemic is still around so this is clearly still relevant!

In addition to my formal teaching responsibilities, I also create software for sharing scientific concepts and visualizations. Half and half for education and research. My team and I created a free visualization embedding tool, snorkle.io, that lets you create truly interactive presentations using real scientific visualizations. While some of it is technical and even professional, you can use it to quickly share amazing 3D models and such and auto-generates a QR code, so if you're presenting over zoom, for example (and these are super easy to create on your own):

Since you mentioned butterflies:

https://sketchfab.com/models/5ca3bc0dfa744fc686a1e1f722ebe2a5/embed?autostart=1&camera=0

Or the structure of the COVID spike protein: https://snorkle-output-files.s3.amazonaws.com/PDBmol7DZW.html

Anyhow, we have tutorials on how to use it to insert interactive visuals into powerpoint and also for making interactive posters. These tutorials are aimed at a more technical / graduate level, but trust me, all students like 3D learning! (and I'm HAPPY to help you figure out how to do whatever you might envision)
Using in powerpoint: https://youtu.be/Xgv0iUhBCLY
For posters: https://youtu.be/bxJg90kcpS0

Erika Pena Erika Pena 220 Points

Hello Meghan, I really enjoyed reading your discussion, you made me wonder what is actually going on with teachers teaching students virtually. I see that you mentioned that schience was talked in the classroom but very little, and since they have seasonal activities they had to be virtual. I think that the resources that teachers provide are not enough for the students to learn something since they are first graders. I think that when they experience it out doors in totally different. The students have the opportunities to work hands-on and learn new things while implementing ivestigating activities. I really liked your discussion. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers