Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Keeping students attention during a science lesson?

Elementary Science

Keeping students attention during a science lesson?

Author Post
Rebecca Leahy Rebecca Leahy 2065 Points

Hello fellow science lovers! 

I am a pre-service teacher about to finish up my classes and begin my student teaching (yay!). Recently I had to do a lesson with a group of second graders in my service learning classroom and I did a 'Life Cycle of a Plant' activity where we are growing lima beans in plastic bags with wet paper towel and comparing if the rate of growth is faster when the bean is placed in direct sunlight or in no sunlight (a closet). The students had a bunch of fun doing the lesson with me but I went way over time because I had so much trouble keeping the classes attention! Many of them kept talking or pulling apart their seeds and were not doing the work in their science journals that I assigned them. I know they enjoyed the lesson but I don't know what I could have done better to bring the classes attention back when needed- I used the techniques their teacher uses but still had trouble keeping their eyes on me and their mouths closed during instruciton. I love that they got so excited to participate but how can I make sure they're having a good time but still listening to me when I need them to and doing their work when they should be?

Thanks!

Karen Woodford Karen Woodford 865 Points

Keeping the attention of second graders is tough- but tougher still if they have things that are cool in their hands. Never pass out or distribute materials until you go over the rules for handling them. I found great success in showing 4 small groups how to work with the materials at a time at the horseshoe table in the back. I introduced the lesson whole group, on the mat away from desks, prefacing that best behaved student groups were to be called to the back first. While a group was working in the back, other groups were reading science content books on the subject and preparing their journals (date, copying the stems for observations, questions, and observational drawings. Also- why not have extra soaked seeds so all can explore the layers of a seed? I do that the day before. Peeling off the outer layer of a Lima bean and looking at the translucent layer up to the light or with hand lenses could be an activity they do at their desks as you manage groups one at a time. Why IS that layer so thin? Looking closely at the little plant inside... all great learning. They can date and record their observations, make sketches, label parts, record steps in the process, form hypotheses, etc. While they’re doing this, you are with a small group. After all 4 groups have gone and set a seed up for growth, you share out observations and questions. Use the inquiry method to design further investigations. You can show something like the seed coat under a projection microscope afterwards for full class discussion, looking at pores and veins, etc. At the end, I give a sticker to each member of the best small table group for super scientists work. Sharing and handling materials well, book research, careful journal entries, behavior, following directions, teamwork... Be aware, this activity may have already been done in first grade, as it’s pretty basic, and there’s a prior experience with plant structures in the NGSS sequence. Boredom can also lead to misbehavior. Tips for collecting all materials in an orderly way: Assign 2 students at each table group of 4 or 5 to collect and responsibly return materials. One student at the depository site to ensure it’s neat and orderly. Another collects all the journals from their group while two others put them in number (abc) order. That eliminates “I can’t find my journal” woes. It also is handy for you to look at and grade all journal entries and provide comments and feedback. Hope this helps!! Remember to set expectations, procedures, and objectives firmly from the start. It makes it easier on everyone. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Karen (Former second grade teacher and science leader) -- *

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers