Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Bilingual Science Learners

Elementary Science

Bilingual Science Learners

Author Post
Griselda Perez Griselda Perez 500 Points

Hello! I'm a future bilingual teacher and I was wondering what some fun science activities or ice breakers would be inclusive for the bilingual and English learners to do with the rest of the class so they can get to know each other?

Valeria Montalvo Valeria Montalvo 490 Points

Hi Griselda, I think that one way in which students can get to know each other better is through their experiences working as a team. It is good to place English learners with other classmates who already know how to speak it, in this way they can learn not only to become familiar with the vocabulary but also to learn from each other. You can do activities with water, plastic objects, ziploc bags, etc. For example, you can talk about 'sink and float', using a large container with water and different objects, the students will have to learn which objects float and why others don't. They will test their theory when they put the object in the water and see if they were right or wrong. This is an activity where they can have fun and learn at the same time.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers