Forums

Forums / Life Science / Fossils Needed

Life Science

Fossils Needed

Author Post
Raymond Jones Raymond Jones 740 Points

Hello, I am conducting a fossils unit. Where can I find some fossils to place in the classroom? If you have any links or contacts, I would greatly appreciate it. I have a large ESOL population of students that I serve and I want those students to get a hands on lesson.

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Does your state have a conservation department? Sometimes you can get fossils from them. Also any science supply source like Carolina Biological have fossils for sale. or a local science store may have some.

Stacia Brown Stacia Brown 560 Points

Raymond, Over the years I have collected many fossils from different parents who have donated them to me. However, there are some small ones that came with the science kits that we recieved a few years ago. If there is another teacher that has been there for a while they may be able to locate them. Also, After my other 3rd grade teacher uses my stash, I'll let you borrow a few to show your class. In addition to that, the Tellus Museum does sell some small fossils too. Stacia

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hi Raymond, Where are you located and what types of fossils would you like? In many instances, your state geological survey can assist you. You can also talk with your county extension agent. They can put you in contact with someone in the geology project through 4-H. In many instances, older students in the project must do community service in order to get their project pin. They would be happy to loan you fossils or help you collect them for class.

Jenny Hwang Jenny Hwang 4755 Points

I'm not sure if you're still looking to get some fossils, but I found a website where you can order them for your classroom and also get other teaching resources.
www.fossilisious.com

I hope this helps!

Viviana Haynes Viviana Haynes 1415 Points

If you can't find any fossils, I'm sure a class trip to a museum would serve well in teaching the content.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers