Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Science Guests

New Teachers

Science Guests

Author Post
Amra Milanovic Amra Milanovic 1710 Points

After reading, "Black ants and Buddhists" by Mary Cowhey I have become even more interested in discovery and inquiry. Ways students can learn on their own. A concept Cowhey used in her classroom was inviting guests into her classrooms for a day. Those who are experts in their fields I find can help students find motivation for learning especially if they have an astronaut or a meteorologist come in and speak. As a new teacher would you recommend that or would it be best for students to see you as the expert initially? Also, how can we get those experts into the classroom? (Cowhey makes it seem so easy).  Thank you, Amra Milanovic 

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Three articles in the April issue of NSTA's Science Scope have suggestions for planning, implementing, and follow-up for guest speakers in the classroom:

Mary B

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92296 Points

Hi Amra,

At the beginning of each year when I taught middle school, i would have my parents at Open House fill out an index card sharing what they would about their work.  I would ask them to let me know whether they might be interested in coming in to share their career choices and their present roles in the workforce.  When I taught about DNA, I had my parent who was the head of the Crime Lab in our county come in and share how DNA fingerprinting worked and how he used technology to solve crimes.  When I taught cell division and reproduction, I had my parent who was a researcher at a local university come in and talk about how she used technology to help with genetic screening.  From these initial index cards, I had a great resource of potential speakers/guests to come into the classroom and share their expertise and help my students make connections between the science content and the everyday world.

Hope this helps!

Carolyn

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Your students' parents and/or guardians are a great place to start when searching for experts. Many times they may work in a field that compliments what you are teaching in the classroom. I would discourage you from waiting to have experts visit your classroom.  Even as a new teacher, you can still have guest speakers.  In my experience, it is nice to have another person backing up what you are telling students. It gives you more crediblity, instead of less. 

It does take time to find good experts to visit the classroom, but it is worth it. In addition to parents, you can have your school nurse, resource officer, or local officials from the county health agency visit.  With time, you will develop a group of individuals that can act as resources just like Cowhey.  

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

Hello Amra!  I just read your post and I loved bringing in all kinds of speakers to my classrooms!  Oh, you can take your class to meet people at their work, too.  I don't think you need to be seen as the expert beforehand.  In fact, I think it is ok for a teacher to claim they aren't the expert but can help students find answers.  This is called a student-centred classroom and the teacher becomes a facilitator and guide.  This approach is very conducive to inquiry and questioning - which is what we want in teaching science.  

Almost all professional organizations - engineers, doctors, nurses, technicians, etc - have outreach programs and will often have volunteers who will make trips to classrooms.  Agricultural organizations will have speakers, demos, etc.  Zoos, animal hospitals, animal shelters, conservation organizations are often happy to send a 'roadshow' to your classroom.  Don't be shy to ask friends and acquaintances to drop by your classroom to share their expertise in something! You may know some professors who you can invite.  

If you do bring in a guest be sure to prepare the speakers and have a conversation about what they will bring (literally and figuratively) into the classroom.  Help modify parts that you see might not suit your students.  Also prepare your students.  Have them write down questions beforehand that they can read out so you don't have the awkward silences when you ask, 'Does anyone have any questions?'  

Hope this helps.

Gabe Kraljevic

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Great advice, Gabe! I totally agree that teachers do not need to know all of the answers. We are the ultimate lifelong learners and it is perfectly acceptable to share that with students. Everyone knows something we do not know. There is no way we could possibly know it all. Acknowledging that fact, takes the pressure off of teachers AND off of students. Not knowing doesn't mean you quit when you hit a roadblock, you keep searching until you find what you need to know. That is a life skill! As an elementary teacher, I remind students that it's ok not to know something, what matters is what you do to find out the information that is missing!

Brenda Velasco Mizenko Brenda Velasco 2695 Points

Every year we invite a local meteorologist to come speak to our third graders during the weather unit. They love it. Most of the time they'll bring a video camera and show it on the local news that evening.  Someone mentioned parents which is a great resource. Also, community sponsors also love to come to schools as well. It would also be a good idea to reach out to local colleges in town to see if any alumni, especially women in science would be interested in speaking or doing fun activity with the students. Many love reaching out to schools.

Shane Melanko Shane Melanko 375 Points

I think that it's always a good idea to bring in an outsider. It's a fresh stimulus for the class, especially if you have the speaker come later in the year.

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Amra, I was wondering if you could contact your local Kiwanis Club? They are a volunteer organization and we have several in my area. They are official partners in education with my school. Several of the members are engineers, doctors, etc. They have stepped up their involvement and help us with STEM Night, grade level experiments and many other things to help make a positive impact on our students. You also might consider contacting your local university. We have had great success implementing Engineering is Elementary as an after school program supported by the engineering department. The dean of engineering did the actual teacher training for us. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers