Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / How can you teach science on an Island? Hands On

Early Childhood

How can you teach science on an Island? Hands On

Author Post
Vanessa Fragiacomo Vanessa Fragiacomo 3620 Points

[color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Hello everyone![/font][/size][/color] [color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]My name is Vanessa Fragiacomo, and I am a future elementary school teacher. I would like to share with all of you an experience I had when I was a missionary Kindergarten teacher in Providenciales, one of the Turks and Caicos Islands. I was there for a year, and many times I would find myself struggling with finding the perfect method for teaching science, since many of my students had never seen mountains, rivers, the snow, and many more aspects of nature that we take for granted. I would have limited resources, the internet connection would barely get to my classroom, therefore I would not be able to show them videos. It was difficult at first because on an island you tend to see only sand, water, and scarce vegetation ( at least that is the case in Providenciales). I decided that the best way to teach my students about the natural phenomena was recreating small simulations of such.  We created our own mountains using rocks and dirt, we carved little rivers on the ground and made water run through them, we prepared fake snow and sprinkled it on top of mountains. We found so many simple yet powerful ways of recreating natural scenarios that not everyone was used of seeing. It was simply the best! The reason why I am sharing this is because I want to emphasize the importance of hands on teaching; it stimulates the creativeness and thought process of students allowing them to truly internalize concepts and remember them forever.  I hope you all have a chance of creating while teaching just like I did. [/font][/size][/color] [color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Thank you for stopping by![/font][/size][/color] [color=#575655][size=2][font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Vanessa[/font][/size][/color]

Ling Xu Ling Xu 6458 Points

Looking forward to the answers too~

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers