Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Controling the speed of the lesson

New Teachers

Controling the speed of the lesson

Author Post
Sarah Pack Sarah Pack 254 Points

As a pre-service teacher, I find myslef struggling to control the pace of my lessons. Some tasks I feel like the students understand the concepts really well and get bored so I tend to pick up the pace. But towards the end of the class, I find myself struggling to find more things to do during the class or the kids seem somewhat flustered with all the information they have gathered. Does any veteran teachers have and tips and tricks to help new teachers adjust to the correct speed/pace that their students do best at? 

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Hi Sarah -- As you get to know your students better and get a sense of the class dynamics, you'll be able to pace the lessons. One thing that might help is a brief survey: thumbs up if you understand, down if you don't. and sideways if you need more help. This can give you info on whether to review concepts, provide more information, or progress with the lesson. If you ask 'Does anyone have any questions?' you're likely to get some blank stares and assume the students are OK. Instead, frame the question as 'What question do you have about xyz?' It may also help when planning to have some added activities for extra time at the end of the class. Annotate your lesson or activity with any concerns that you could address the next time you teach it. -- Mary B

Kasey Mannion Kasey Mannion 1020 Points

Hi Sarah, 

As a pre-service teacher myself, I can totally relate to feeling this way! I think it's great that you find ways to adapt during your teaching. For me, knowing my students well and planning my lessons down to the minute is what helps me to keep my pacing in check. I find that I often have to resist the urge to rush through lessons. I make sure my lessons include collaborative learning and hands-on activities. In including these activities, I know that I can give my students ample time to share ideas, explore, question, and enjoy these rich learning experiences. I sometimes feel like the lesson is going so slowly, but in reality the lesson is moving along at an appropriate pace. As teachers we are always so hard on ourselves and hyper-aware of everything we do! Now, I always take my time when teaching because my students need that time to enage in higher-level thinking on even the simpliest concept.  

Best wishes!

Kasey

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers