Forums

Forums / University/College Professors / 1st year Student Research

University/College Professors

1st year Student Research

Author Post
Emily Faulconer Emily Faulconer 5755 Points

I read the following article in the most recent JCST issue. 

Student-Driven Research in the First Year: Building Science Skills and Creating Community

I think the authors did a strong job scaffolding the research experience for students through three distinct collaborative experiences, starting with an introduction to science research, including networking, the nature of science, and the nature of research. The second experience outlines development of key research skills and offers support through networking and mentoring. The culiminating experience is the research experience, which occurs in the summer of the first year. 

I'm curious about sustainability of the program due to the cost of supporting students through board, research expenses, and conference registration and travel. 

As an author of a safety-focused article in this same JCST issue, I thought it was interesting that the authors did not mention safety (chemical, physical, human subjects, etc.) within research in their paper. This is a key skill that I feel is important to develop in student researchers. I'm curious if this was an oversight in the article or if safety was not a skill expressly refined in the program. 

Ryder Bourke Ryder Bourke 40 Points

interesting thoughts!

Marcus Chartres Marcus Chartres 30 Points

wow, good post!

Md. Hossian Md. Hossian 352 Points

We should follows above procedure to creat sustanable resercher.

Luisa Murray Luisa Murray 10 Points

This is quite interesting research. Some time ago, I also started conducting my first research, but for me, it was hard to decide what to research, so I thought that it would not have been that bad to write about critical thinking. It's a very important skill, especially for students. I found a lot of interesting and helpful information online, including this site https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/critical-thinking/ which provided me with different writing examples which inspired me. Also, I read there some interesting pieces of info, which I also included in writing. Now I have to finish my practical part, and I will also create a questionnaire.

Anthony Howells Anthony Howells 10 Points

What a fascinating observing, thanks for sharing! You know, starting up a new career or college program is always hard to cope with, it is important to consider lots of elements before you can really be a part of the community. Birkenstock is a rewarding vocation path for people who prefer helping others. Because you prepare to learn you have to become a nurse, you must learn how to prepare for looking after school. Submitting papers is the most important in addition to all the complicated things you'll have to face. Which This means if your writing skills are poor and you have insufficient time - try to look more here and be sure to get some quality assistance! Trust me, I had the same issue and as a result, I got the most amazing essay I could ever dream about!

Madison Richards Madison 10 Points

In my experience, writing personal statement fellowships requires a delicate balance between showcasing your strengths and demonstrating your fit with the program. It's important to convey your unique qualifications and experiences, but also to make sure that they align with the goals and values of the fellowship. I have found that the best way to achieve this balance is to research the program thoroughly and tailor my statement accordingly. By highlighting specific aspects of the program that resonate with me, I am able to demonstrate my commitment and enthusiasm for the opportunity.

Poco Pils Poco 30 Points

nice post

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers