Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Remote Learning

Evaluation and Assessment

Remote Learning

Author Post
April Verastegui April Verastegui 375 Points

Due to Covid many schools have started remote learning and this has taken a toll on some students I believe. As a result the engagement of student participation has become something to work harder towards. How can one as an educator carry out instruction while still engaging students and making sure they are on the same page? How can we make sure all our students understand the content being taught through these virtual lessons. I do undertsand some students do not have a problem using technology as it is needed more often now but how about the students who aren't as familiar with it?

My second field experience with teaching was remote due to COVID. There were many times that the students did not want to participate and it felt like I, and my cooperating teacher, were just teaching to thin air. As you can imagine, it was very frustrating at times. To make sure the students are on the same page, my cooperating teacher would cold call on students to make sure they were listening. Additionally, to make sure they were engaged, my teacher would often rely on visuals like videos, songs, and different ways to make sure the material was appealing to the students. It is very important to try to find ways to appeal to their interests and find relevant material that the students will enjoy—while also making it relevant to the lesson. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers