Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Differentiate instructions

Early Childhood

Differentiate instructions

Author Post
Odalys Perez Odalys Perez 790 Points

How would one differentiate instruction for students with varying levels of science understanding?

Kaylee Kueker Kaylee Kueker 1130 Points

Hi Odalys!

Although I am still in school and haven't been able to practice this in my own classroom, I am getting a special education endorsement and we talk about this a lot in my classes for that. I think differentiating is all about knowing your students and what they need. For example, if you know how a student learns best, like if they like to move around, you can incorporate that into your lessons by having them act things out as you teach about them (like having students walk around a central object to see how planets orbit around the sun). Another thing I have discussed is having students with a higher level of understanding teach students with a lower level of understanding. This allows students with higher levels of understanding to solidify their ideas and dive deep into the content, since you have to know materials really well in order to teach them, and the students who don't understand as much get to hear information from their peers, which may be more motivating than a teacher. I would be cautious about doing this too much though, because we don't want to make the students with a higher understanding feel like they are being required to put in more work than others, or for the students with a lower level of understanding feel incapable. I hope these ideas help!

-Kaylee

Wartburg College class of 24

Elementary Education Major with endorsements in reading, early childhood, and special education 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers