Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / All about Water

Early Childhood

All about Water

Author Post
Tamera Davis Tamera Davis 415 Points

Hey guys, so I am preparing my very first 5unit lesson, it will be about water. I'm a little nervous that my activities won't be interactive enough, I have some activities like water color painting and a water sensory table; but do you guys happen to know any interactive activities I could do with a class of pre.K-1st? The class is broad as you can tell so I want to make sure I provide every student with the opportunity to explore at the level they feel best. Let me know what you guys think? 

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10953 Points

Hi Tamera,

I wrote a blog post, 'Water play…exploration…science inquiry,' that lists some good resources. It was posted on July 11, 2016 and since then the blog platform has changed so the photos don't show up but the links are still good.

http://blog.nsta.org/2016/07/11/water-play-exploration-science-inquiry/ 

Another wonderful resource is Carol Gross' 2012 article in the SECA journal, Dimensions of Early Childhood, 'Science Concepts Young Children Learn Through Water Play.'

https://www.southernearlychildhood.org/upload/pdf/Science_Concepts_Young_Children_Learn_Through_Water_Play_Carol_M_Gross.pdf

Best wishes,

Peggy

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

I would have them play with water then I would tell them water comes in different forms. You have the ocean that is saltwater, ice that is frozen water, etc. I would also say that we are mostly made of water too. This way they can understand that water is all around us.

Haley Jacobsen Haley Jacobsen 820 Points

It could be really fun to do the exciting rain in a jar activity with the students. You can google it to find what method works best for you! You could also do a sink or float exploratory center. Just a tub of water and a bunch of random items that sink and items that float! For an extension, they could do an item sort and search for commonalities!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers