Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Outdoor activities

Early Childhood

Outdoor activities

Author Post
Christa Anaya Christa Anaya 385 Points

What outdoor activities would be good for sensory development in early childhood?

Daisy Gomez Daisy Gomez 615 Points

Hello Christa! A great outdoor activity that can be done for sensory development is the Rainbow Soap Foam Bin. For this activity all you need is a large bin, water, soap, and food coloring. You're basically creating a bubbly foam by mixing the soap and water together, then painting it a solid color with food coloring. These steps will be repeated to get as many colors as you'd like to have. Once all foams are colored and ready, you will place them into the large bin. The students can then play and get creative by pointing out colors they already know and make new ones by mixing the foam with their hands. 

Alexandria Monahan Alexandria Monahan 380 Points

Hi Christa!

I am a pre-service teacher, but I actually work in a daycare whenever I am not at school. During the summertime, we try to do as many outdoor activities as we can when it's nice outside. Two event days that my students really enjoy are mud or water days! during these days we bring out plastic kiddie pools and fill them up with water or mud (usually bagged soil mixed with water) and the kids get to play with them for most of the afternoon! I believe having a 'mud day' would be a really fun sensory activity since the students can feel and smell it! You can also choose different toys that they students could use to play in the mud pools too!

Hope this helps!

Lexi Monahan

Jessica Jones Jessica Jones 465 Points

I love taking my students outside. You can take your students and have various walks. You pick what you want them to look or listen for then you can go back in the room and have a classroom discussion about the walk. 

Anne Lowry Anne Lowry 8543 Points

I'd look at the other outdoor activities thread.   Think through many of those  activities from an 'I feel, i hear, I touch, I smell' perspective and you have good sensory activities.   I usually leave out 'I taste' unless I know the class well

Conversely, if you had specific senses you want to focus on, such as touch for that one student who touches everything, you can look at your outdoor spaces.  What textures are there?  Can you categorize the textures?  Dothe textures change?  Can you create class names for the textures?  Later, can you discover texture words and create a class dictionary with examples?  How would you draw texture?  Can you create texture scavenger hunts?

Just some ideas.  I am sure you will come up with and share many more!

Anne

Aida Nichols Aida Nichols 1250 Points

Hello there!

An activity I do every year with my students is a five senses scavenger hunt. This week my students are painting binoculars out of toilet paper rolls. Then we are taking a nature walk and looking for signs of fall. They can collect acorns, different color leaves, different size sticks to compare, etc. Being outside, especially now is wonderful for hands-on sensory exploration!

Madeline Henderson Madeline Henderson 285 Points

Finding different kinds of leaves would be a fun, easy science activity for children. This could help them compare their textures and colors to figure out which tree they came from. 

Victoria Lagos Victoria Lagos 505 Points

Hi Christa,

A great outdoor activity that would be good for sensory development in early childhood that I found that children love is planting flowers. They would be using their hands and/or tools to dig dirt and also to cover the holes they placed the seeds in.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers