Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / How to organize when you are a traveling and teaching?

General Science and Teaching

How to organize when you are a traveling and teaching?

Author Post
Sherene McDonald Sherene McDonald 22305 Points

I need assistance with getting more organize with my schedule. I teach 3 subjects to 6 different classes and it is very difficult. Any suggestions??

Now I am also expected to use the smart board with my lessos, any ideas??

Jennifer Rahn Jennifer Rahn 67955 Points

Sherene,

I travel a lot too. I sub in a couple of high schools, and end up carrying everything with me, never knowing if I will have a laptop, or what the age will be, etc. Very awkward.

If you have a laptop, I would have the Smart Notebook software installed. Then it is usually a simple matter to plug in the sound, the board, and the video. Last week I got to a class only to find no computer, but an overhead projector. It took about five minutes to connect. After the first class, I modified the materials to work on the smartboard in about half an hour, and it went so much better. Smart Software Download page.

I also like the flexibility. I had one class that finished a test early, so I popped up an online sudoku game to give my students a little practice in deductive reasoning. I have also used it to play jeopardy and other games that I have pre-defined. Use the technology to help you, and don't try anything too fancy until you are really comfortable with it. You will look amazing if you can just get a few simple things going. If it takes a lot of training, avoid it.

You are in a tricky situation with three separate preps, and getting ahead of the game is probably the biggest issue. Are you new to the school too? New classes? Are the classes at about the same level, or will you need to modify the lesson for each one?

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Sherene wrote, "I need assistance with getting more organize with my schedule. I teach 3 subjects to 6 different classes and it is very difficult. Any suggestions??" Hi Sherene, I sympathize with you. It is hard to stay organized when you have home base. I can only imagine how much more difficult it is when you have to travel. A quick search of the Learning Center provided two articles that may help. I've attached them to this post. Hope they hope, Ruth

Thank you both soo very much for your assistance it is very muh appreciated. The resources I need to get a laptop for the smartboard. My other problem is to coordinate dates and time to borrow arund their schedules. This my 2nd year but it is much more difficult because I teach a Bilingual class with a para-professional that has not been available since Nov. I am not certified but I am expected to teach them the same. 2 health classes that I am learning as I go not certified for that either, ICT and 2 special ed ELL and a 6/7th grade split. This schedule seems to be one that is meant to test every bone in my body. How are we expected to educate our students and have them excell in the area of Science when we have some impossible schedule to deal with. But I have to take it one day at a time and know that by the grace of God this too shall pass. Sherene

Hi, I just try to launch the resources that you suggested and it says that the resources could not be found. Would there be another link??? Sherene

Serena Nishihara Serena Nishihara 830 Points

Sherene would you please tell me if you people have a schedule where you meet everyday or every other day? What courses do you teach on even days and what courses do you teach on odd days, only if your school has a schedule like ours. On Mondays, Wednesdays and most Fridays we have Periods 2, 4 and 6 and on Tuesdays and Thursdays we have Periods 1, 3, 5, and 7. What courses do you teach? I thank you very much, mahalo and aloha, Kumu Serena

Serena Nishihara Serena Nishihara 830 Points

Aloha, Sherene, I would use a planner since you have six different subjects? The planner can really help you to be organized for each day. What are the six courses that you teach? Mahalo and aloha, Kumu Serena

Hi Serena, I teach 3 different subjects to 6 different classes. Health to 4 ( Special Ed/ ELL/ICT/ General students)- 6th grade classes, Physical Science to 3-6th grade and Earth Science to a 6/7th grade split ELL and Bilinual/Special Ed students without a para-professional. I was removed from the Content meeting for Science because of my schedule. There is only one meet on alternating days that is recommended and required. There is also a content meeting on Mondays but which do I go to when I am in 3 different Contents: Science, Special Ed and Health. Sherene

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers