Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Gathering Resources/Classroom Funding

New Teachers

Gathering Resources/Classroom Funding

Author Post
Alan Samuels Alan Samuels 37205 Points

I am a pre-service teacher and will be student teaching in the spring. I think the learning center is a great tool so far with all the resources and PD tools and am glad that this web community is available for science education. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience finding sponsors, searching for cheap materials like through auctions, sales or something or working with businesses such as Walmart to donate materials for classrooms or schools? Essentially, I am asking what are some good ways to get resources and materials from the community/businesses or what are good social connections to make, especially for a science classroom?

Mary Bigelow Mary Bigelow 10275 Points

Asking for funds is one thing, but if you're asking businesses or other agencies to donate materials, equipment, or technology, here are a few things to consider. http://nstacommunities.org/blog/2010/05/19/donated-materials/ Mary B

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

Garage sales are great place to get materials for your classroom. Also the Dollar Tree stores have lots of things for the classroom for just $1. If you are going to a business, it is best to have an introductory letter from your principal introducing you as a teacher and what project you plan to use the funds or materials for. As you said, WalMart will donate materials sometimes and so will Home Depot.

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hi Alan, I hope your year is going well! Taking Tina's idea one step further, at Open House or Parent -TEacher conference times, you might let the parents know that if they work for corporations that like to create grants for the schools their employee's children attend, that you would be happy to suggest some equipment that would be put to great use. Also ask the parent teacher association (usually via your principal) if the school is registered at Target. Families can get a Target credit card and designate which school they would like (I think it is 5%) a certain percentage of their purchase price to be given to. Every little bit helps! Carolyn

Alan Samuels Alan Samuels 37205 Points

Thank you everyone for the great replies. All the advice, articles and sites are quite helpful, and I will definitely keep them in mind as I move into my career. I do also appreciate the cautionary advice and making sure administrators are informed as well as parents early in the year. I will also definitely try to get involved with the Virginia Association of Science Teachers as someone mentioned participating in the state teacher association, and my adviser mentioned she was able to get a grant from VAST for her classroom in the past.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers