Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Teaching Science to ELLs

Elementary Science

Teaching Science to ELLs

Author Post
Sydney Pierce Sydney Pierce 225 Points

As a future educator who is specializing in ESL, what are some recourses or tips that I could use to effectively teach ELLs? What kind of differentiation could I use in my lessons to give them proper support them but not hinder their success at the same time?

McKenzie Ball McKenzie Ball 200 Points

Looking back at the position statement on Science for English Language Learners, I think the main idea is to incorporate effective strategies that allows ELL students to access their prior knowledge and communicate their ideas by using multiple modes of representation. This also means giving incorporating expereinces and examples from diverse linguistic and cultural groups. I was also reading that it's important to reject the percieved notion that literacy must be developed before science. As always, just becuase someone is not fluent in your language does not mean they can't understand and apply the lesson. 

McKenzie Ball McKenzie Ball 200 Points

Looking back at the position statement on Science for English Language Learners, I think the main idea is to incorporate effective strategies that allows ELL students to access their prior knowledge and communicate their ideas by using multiple modes of representation. This also means giving incorporating expereinces and examples from diverse linguistic and cultural groups. I was also reading that it's important to reject the percieved notion that literacy must be developed before science. As always, just becuase someone is not fluent in your language does not mean they can't understand and apply the lesson. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers