Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Activities for Rocks and Minerals Unit

Earth and Space Science

Activities for Rocks and Minerals Unit

Author Post
Kimberly Olson Kimberly Olson 495 Points

Hello, I am currently working on a rock and mineral unit.I was wondering if anyone has some hands on activities that I can do with students for lessons on minerals and the rock cycle? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kim

Betty Paulsell Betty Paulsell 48560 Points

There is a posting in this forum called Rocks Lesson that has lots of ideas in it. I see that you have posted in that. That has lots of resources that will help you. I can't think of any more to add besides the collections. The Rock Cycle collections have a host of ideas. Good luck.

Ruth Hutson Ruth Hutson 64325 Points

Hi Kim, What age level do you teach? It would help me in my recommendations. Thanks, Ruth

Kimberly Olson Kimberly Olson 495 Points

Thank you for all the suggestions so far. My lessons will be for third grade, sorry I did not add that information. Thanks, Kim

Mitchell Miho Mitchell Miho 3090 Points

I am taking this from my science department, but when i taught the rock cycle, i i borrowed rocks from all of the 3 major types; sedimentary, igneous, and metamorphic and had the kids examine them with magiscopes at first to gain interest. I did this without telling them what kind of rock it was or its type and just told them to write specific observations down about its characteristics, including weight, shape, color, texture, and any other defining adjectives. I did this in order for them to appreciate the details of each type and had them group them by their similarities. (I also recommend using bituminous coal, and anthracite coal, along with limestone and marble, especially because it helps them see that these rocks come from the same source. After they had their observations and i taught them a lesson on the rock cycle and the typical characteristics of each, i gave them the names and types. By doing this, i feel that they were able to practice their observation and attention to detail skills. For extra reinforcement had them do the simulations from the sciguides that covered the rock cycle. This gave them better insight on how metamorphic rocks are formed and that rocks can and do go through a continuous "cycle". Hope this helps, assuming you have the resources and a department rock collection.

Tye'Quan Howze Tye'Quan Howze 2635 Points

Hi, I'm Tye Also a college student becoming a teacher in the near future and reading a SciPack on Rocks. I was wondering in elementary school specifically 1st grade - 2nd grade what would be some great activities for Rocks. Thanks

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers