Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Current Events Assignments

General Science and Teaching

Current Events Assignments

Author Post
Chris Leverington Chris Leverington 4035 Points

Does anyone have a good current events assignment that you give to your students?

Maria Leon maria leon 50 Points

No sorry for this. I have not.

Stephanie Homyak Stephanie Homyak 2415 Points

One idea I tried this year is to have students work in groups to prepare a news program. I would print out a variety of science news items or bring in newspapers. Each group would have to select 3 articles. They would then prepare a news show that would include one commercial and a short review of each article. They were encouraged to create props and give their news show a name. Each person had to be involved in at least 2 segment (3 news or commercial). The commercial could be for a real or imaginary product/service. The kids had a great time with it. This could all be done in a single class period. I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I got it from one of my listservs. Not only does it build knowledge of current events, but also builds their presentation skills. I let kids report on the same articles, and then we compare what was reported by each group. Noticeable improvement if you do this on a regular basis and great buy-in from students. Good luck! Stephanie

Stephanie Homyak Stephanie Homyak 2415 Points

A great site for science news is Futurity.org. You can also sign up for daily-e-news. Stephanie

Paula Sabato Paula Sabato 610 Points

As an enrichment in my classroom last year, I had students write a science current event article using a slide from PowerPoint. They would browse articles from a selection of websites and choose a current science event they found interesting. They would then write the article in their own words and include a picture. The slide was then printed out and posted in the hall for all students to read. This was a hit with students since my room is right next to the cafeteria where students line up for lunch. Through this, I was able to reinforce LA concepts such as the writing process and informational text. It spurred a lot of discussion and healthy competition amongst students to find the most interesting topics and the conversations I heard between students out in the hall were fascinating. I teach at a high needs school with a students population that have had little to no science education in elementary school, so any way to get more interaction with science information the better. It has also been great feedback for me to see what my students find interesting and I have frequently incorporated those articles into my lessons.

Monica Holloway Monica Holloway 2990 Points

These are fabulous ideas!!! I will be adding this to my "list" for this coming school year!!!

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Hi Chris, One of the ways I deal with current events is to have a bulletin board outside the classroom in the hallway where current event articles are laminated and posted. One of the things I’ve started doing is adding a QR code to the article so students can scan the code into their cell phones to read either the full article itself or more information on the topic. I know cell phones are a hot issue right now in all schools, but let’s face it. They are a powerful learning tool. If we don’t teach students how to use technology well, who will? One of my very first assignments I give my middle school students is a part of a bulletin board out in the hall for all to see, “I am College Bound.” I take a head shot photo of each of my students with a mortar board on their head. They are to put their name, what career(s) they are interested in pursuing, what college they plan to attend, and an interesting fact about themselves. I laminate these and then put them up so they are in place for all staff, students and parents to see. This is one of the first things parents see when they come to Open House just after school begins. It is highly motivating for them to see a photo of their student with a mortar board and college goals. Many had no idea their child had a career goal. This year, I am going to extend the assignment and have the students go online to capture the URL of the college of their choice.

Chris, I forgot to add, initially I am add current events to the outside bulletin board. What I have found is once students are taught how to research online and determine reliable sources, they often take over the board posting news that is interesting to them. It generally only takes until mid-October for the students to take pride in their abilities and begin to see the board as their way to show what they know. By adding the QR code to the article this year, students will be even more interested in participating and publishing their own current events. I am attaching my collection of articles on Current Events from resources available in the NSTA Resources. You might find some ideas in these resources that will be useful to you.

Current Events Collection (6 items)
- Journal Article
- Journal Article

Very interesting/motivating!!!! How do you create the QR code??

Namrata Dixit Namrata Dixit 360 Points

I post scholastic Science News articles on my eBoard and 2 short response questions. Students get a week to complete & they post their answers right on the inote. No collecting papers & we go through the article & discuss the main idea & their responses. This makes them accountable for the quality of their work.

Hi Monica, My favorite technology website is Tammy’s Technology Tips for Teachers, http://www.tammyworcester.com/Tips/Tammys_Technology_Tips_for_Teachers.html Tammy is an excellent speaker and really knows how to get to the nuts and bolts of how to make technology meaningful in the classroom. Tammy has several links on how to create a QR code as there are several ways to do so. Here are the results of a search of Tammy’s homepage for QR codes: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002915982925413064353%3Am7caagdcl88&ie=UTF-8&q=QR+codes#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=QR%20codes&gsc.page=1 They really are quite simple. The trick is to find a QR code creator that you like and produces the results you are looking for. Some generators are free for a while then become paid. Some are free but work just okay. What we have found is find one that will work with the computer you have available to you. Good luck trying these. Students love to generate them. By the way, you can laminate them as well, most QR readers are not affected by the glare from the lamination.

This is great information!!! I have some scholars who will want to do this!!

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Hi All I just completed a PD class in which out last assignment involved current events. We were asked to choose a controversial current event topic discussed in the news. (1) summarize the topic (2) explain why it is controversial (3) identify the strengths and weakness of arguments on both sides (5) tell why the issue is important (6) write a letter to a public official about the topic (7) reflect on how this model could be used in instruction. I will attach my work on this for example.

Fantastic!! Scholars enjoy debating and this is great preparation!!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers