Forums

Forums / New Teachers / New Teacher

New Teachers

New Teacher

Author Post
Itzelh Casarez Itzelh Casarez 420 Points

Hello everyone, my name is Itzelh Casarez and i am currently a junior at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. I am just a year away to graduate as a bilingual teacher and as exited that i am i aslo feel nervous becasue with the pandemic and not being able to go to class in person i feel that i have not gain any experinece on how will a classroom be like . Science is a subject that i am scare to teach because i am not good at it as i will like to . Any advice or words that i can expect when i become a teacher? Thank You. 

Colby Ryan Colby Ryan 1085 Points

A bilingual teacher? How awesome! You are going to change lives. Just remember that it's totally okay to feel nervous. You are human! Give yourself grace and take in/write about that feeling because it only happens every so often. You won't be nervous every school year! I have always been told that 'your first year teaching is meant to be something that you survive'. You just go with the flow, develop a relationship with the kids, get those awesome lesson plans, etc. The following year you will have more of a disciplinary plan and stricter rules. In order to feel confident with what you teach, go over the lesson plans and have them planned a week or two before you even teach them. You will gain the confidence the more you teach and get comfortable around the kiddos. Wishing you the best of luck! Us teachers have to stick together!

Abril Mireles Abril Mireles 450 Points

Hello, I also get nervous thinking about how close I am to graduating. I like that you mentioned how science isn't your greatest subject but, there is resources such as Certify Teacher and NTSA ebooks that can help you practice a certain topic. Some advice I could give to you would be to make the best out of everything and enjoy every second of it, whether it be in class or through zoom so that students still find the joy in class participation. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers