Forums

Forums / STEM / STEM Ideas for the Littles

STEM

STEM Ideas for the Littles

Author Post
Kelsie Haughey Kelsie Haughey 1320 Points

Hi everyone!

I am a first year Kindergarten teacher, and I am new to using STEM in my classroom. We have already done one activity over light energy. Students worked in partners to construct a tower and then shine a flashlight on it to create a shadow that reaches a certain height. In this lesson, I found ways to integrate math, literacy, and technoglogy. I was curious to see what other types of STEM activites can be done with Kindergartners as well. My class really likes using STEM kits, so what are some fun and engaging STEM kits you may have in your classroom?

Kasey Mannion Kasey Mannion 1020 Points

Hi Kelsie, 

This is not quite a STEM kit, but it is a fun and engaging science activity for young students that relates a bit to the lesson you described! In my student teaching internship, I recently did a science unit with my students that had them tracking the length of a pole's shadow during various times of the day (early morning, mid-morning, late afternoon). The students were able to observe the sun through special glasses that can be ordered by your school or online. The students loved getting to go outside to complete their science lesson and I found it to be a very appropriate lesson for young students that led to lots of great discussion.

Best, Kasey  

Taryn Fridman Taryn Fridman 455 Points

I am a preservice teacher and I am also new to using STEM. I hope to make STEM part of my everyday classroom, so I leave hearing your ideas! Throughout this semester I have read/learned a lot about STEM. I would implement STEM in my classroom by making the science and math activities fun, hands-on, and engaging while incorporating technology. Kids are naturally curious, so this is a great way for them to learn! Another way to incorporate it into the classroom would be to have various learning stations in my room with different common materials that could be used for engineering (blocks, legos, play-doh, etc.). 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers