Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / Formative Assessment

Evaluation and Assessment

Formative Assessment

Author Post
Chelsea Maclin Chelsea Maclin 245 Points

NWEA defines formative assessments as “A planned, ongoing process used by all students and teachers during learning and teaching to elicit and use evidence of student learning to improve student understanding of intended disciplinary learning outcomes and support students to become self-directed learners.” (Beard, 2024) To me, formative assessments are quick checks that help educators ensure that students are understanding the content and concepts taught during that lesson. Three examples of formative assessments that I use in my classroom are exit tickets, four corners, and quick checks or quizzes. The exit tickets I give my students have two questions and they hand them to me as we are switching classes. My students love four corners because they can move around my room. The only thing about four corners is that they sometimes choose what their friends choose. The quick checks or quizzes I give my students have five questions and are given fifteen minutes after the lesson is taught.

Beard, E. (2024, January 7). What is formative assessment?. Teach. Learn. Grow. https://www.nwea.org/blog/2023/what-is-formative-assessment/

Regina Ciphrah Regina Ciphrah 1819 Points

In your post, you're exploring the impactful use of formative assessments, like exit tickets and quick checks, to understand and enhance your students' learning journey. These tools are not just about gauging their grasp of the material but also about fostering a more self-directed learning environment. It's a proactive approach to ensure that every student keeps up with the lesson and engages deeply with the content.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers