Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Literature to Drive Science Instruction Advice

Elementary Science

Literature to Drive Science Instruction Advice

Author Post
Libny Solares Libny Solares 880 Points

Hi there! I’m currently a preservice teacher at Dominican University, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or specific activities as to how I can integrate literature to drive science instruction in an elementary classroom. I would love to hear of any activities you’ve done or plan on doing :) Thank you!

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

Hello Libny,

Let me introduce you to the PICTURE PERFECT LADIES, Karen Ansberry and Emily Morgan.  They are amazing and have authored hundreds of lessons and several 'Picture Perfect' books through the NSTA Press. One of their lessons that I use all of the time in my science methods classes is 'How Big is a Foot?'

It is a lesson plan that you can download from the NSTA Learning Center as a book chapter.  It uses two children's books, a fiction book and a non-fiction book.  Both math and literature are integrated into this marvelous lesson.  

Here is an article they offered about the misconceptions of STEM: https://my.nsta.org/resource/116422/teaching-teachers-seven-myths-of-stem 

Karen and Emily also have podcasts available in the Learning Center.  Here is one you might like: Podcast:

Picture-Perfect Science Lessons: Using Children’s Books to Guide Inquiry: Teaching Gravity Using I Fall Down by Vicki Cobb  

Hope these help!

Sincerely,

Prof. Mohr

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers