Forums

Forums / University/College Professors / Practicum / Field experience interruption

University/College Professors

Practicum / Field experience interruption

Author Post
Cecilia Hernandez Cecilia Hernandez 2485 Points

Our public schools are on an extended break (3 weeks), and our university will be moving to online teaching when we return from our spring break. My students are placed in the schools for an extended early field experience and normally would teach at least one  elementary science lesson in their practicum classroom at this point in the semester. Have this situation occured in other institutions? What are you doing to address the practicum / field experience interruption due to COVID-19?

Rob Keys Rob Keys 3670 Points

We are in the same situation. My elementary science students have been left without this practium experience. I am working with the teachers at the school where they were to do their practicum as they are now teaching online too! My students will be working on this new challenge of how to teach science online to elementary students at home and producing a set of online lessons which will be used by our cooperating teachers who are now facing teaching the rest of their school year online!

Flavio Mendez Flavio Mendez 52501 Points

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your post. I would love to see the online lessons that your students will develop. Could you ask them to post them here? I think everyone is looking for ideas and we all could benefit from the share.

Take care!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers