Forums

Forums / STEM / Engineer Activities for STEM and NonStem Students

STEM

Engineer Activities for STEM and NonStem Students

Author Post
Netosh Jones Netosh Jones 4680 Points

Hi Adah long time we have not communicated. As we are nearing the end of the school year, I know you and others are going to be busy planning and doing activities for the next school year. I'll be attending the Mickelson Exxon Mobile Teachers Academy this summer. Will you be there? I'd like to have some tips on planning for pre and post assessments for Science at the elementary level for K-5. thanks netosh

Kathy Renfrew Kathy Renfrew 37148 Points

Netosh, It is quite a honor to be chosen as a Mikelson Exon fellow. We had a teacher from Vermont go and she raved about it. I was wondering what grade are you teaching? Would you like to be part of our book study group that we are put together for this summer? Kathy

Stacy Holland Stacy Holland 6865 Points

This fall along with our TEKS based multiple choice common assessment we will be giving application tests. Students will complete station rotations where they will complete tasks such as measure density of an irregular object (TEK 6th grade). We feel the application test helps reinforce the STEM activities we complete each week. Any suggestions?

Carolyn Mohr Carolyn Mohr 92276 Points

That is such a great idea, Stacy! I think the students enjoy those "lab practicals" as well. Having students do various measuring activities like the one you suggested sounds appropriate. Do you also provide students an opportunity to go back to their "drawing boards" on their technology projects and continually redesign or modify their STEM projects to improve them in some way? Being able to prove they have improvised or improved upon something is a great extension and authentic assessment at the same time.

I noticed on the SEPUP website that they have STEM and Inquiry Modules. Has anyone used them? If they are anything like their other modules that I have used in middle school, they are probably awesome. It would be interesting to hear from any teachers who have or are presently using these kits in their science classrooms.

Adah said, 'I think it is imperative for all learners to experience what challenges engineers face by providing activities that they can learn from. '

I participated in a web seminar last night that was all about the new NASA Engineering Design Challenge (Real World - InWorld).
The webinar is now archived and accessible, too. Like so many of the webinars that are free to us through NSTA and NASA, I learned about some awesome technology: the new James Webb Space Telescope and Robonaut2!
It would be exciting to hear from those of you who have participated in these NASA Engineering Design Challenges. It really seems to connect students with the real work of engineers and allows them to explore STEM careers.

Karen Clifford Karen Clifford 1005 Points

I looked at the NASA Design Challenge... Sounds Fun!! In regards to EDP, (Engineering Design Process) I always have my STEM kids use this any time we have a project. For example, when we do our unit on Simple Machines, I use this throughout the unit. Texas requires us to ONLY teach inclined planes and pulleys... If all I did was teach these simple machines, my kids would think there were only two simple machines!! So to make the TEK more STEM, AND to extend... I place numerous items on my work station. i.e. paper clips, cardboard, pulleys, marbles, tape, various string, etc. The kids have to create each of the 6 simple machines from scratch, utilizing the EDP. Works well, and they are very creative.

Pamela Auburn Pamela Auburn 68625 Points

Here is a college of engineering based projects

Engineering in K12 Education Collection (14 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource

Thanks for the collection of resources, Pam. There are a bunch of webinars on Engineering Design coming up. I posted them at this discussion thread in case anyone is interested:
National Engineers' Week in Feb...

Brandy Stewart Brandy Stewart 7755 Points

We use the Engineering Design Process across many disciplines on a regular school day. Like the Scientific Method, I believe that incorporating the kids' daily lives, the engineering design process helps with inquiry and learning is all about solving problems. It, of course, will not work for every lesson, but once you put it in their minds daily that they are engineers, they will do this on their own.

Laura Jones Laura Jones 9735 Points

I uploaded a small collection of Lego Engineering resources. Hope it can be helpful.

Engineering with Legos Collection (7 items)
- User Uploaded Resource
- User Uploaded Resource
Daniel Carroll Dan Carroll 18610 Points

I always am intrigued by the fact that STEM stands for science technology engineering mathematics, but is almost always interpreted as engineering. Maybe we should call it stEm... Not that i think ther is something wrong with engineering, its just hat is only one small piece of STEM.

Amazon Mission: Appropriate for grades 6-8, this module integrates math and engineering. To help people in Brazil cope with malaria, students design a carrier to insulate medicine, a water filter, and a plan to stop the spread of an influenza virus. In hands-on investigations integrated with engineering design activities, students collect and analyze their own data, helping them develop algebraic thinking skills and solve real problems (such as designing a water filtration system). Access module at http://www.mos.org/educators/classroom_resources/resource_search&d=2040&sdoc=all

Engineering the Future is a full-year, introductory engineering course, suitable for students in grades 9 - 12. These materials can be used individually incorporated into science instruction or as a course that provides a strong foundation in physics and offers students an opportunity to explore the social, historical, and environmental contexts of emerging technologies. Access this curriculum at http://www.mos.org/educators/classroom_resources/curricula_and_research&d=770 .

Fueling the Car of Tomorrow is a series of hands-on activities intended to teach high school students about the future of the automobile through the eyes of scientists and engineers. Covering the fields of engineering, chemistry, and biology, the activities span a wide range of experiences including laboratory experiments, computer simulations, and group research projects. Each activity is intended to be stand-alone and can be completed in one or two class periods. The activities can be offered individually as supplements to biology, chemistry, or engineering classes. The curriculum and supplemental materials are available for download at http://eng-sci.udmercy.edu/pre-college/alt_fuel_curriculum

TeachEngineering: TeachEngineering is a digital library of free resources for K-12 educators. The library can be searched in a variety of ways and registration allows you to save favorites and review resources at http://www.teachengineering.org .

A World in Motion: A World in Motion is a program of the Society for Automotive Engineers. The program includes a variety of design activities appropriate for elementary, middle, and high school students including designing jet-toy cars, skimmers (wind-powered vehicles), fuel-cell cars, and other activities.Access this program at http://www.awim.org/about .

PBS Design Squad: PBS's Design Squad is an engineering-based reality show for kids. Each episode pits two teams against each other to design solutions to problems ranging from creating usable furniture from cardboard to tricycle-based drag racers. The Design Squad website provides full video of episodes, teacher and event guides (including tons of design challenges), user-submitted challenges and solutions, games, and a great blog. Access information at http://pbskids.org/designsquad .

Hi Everyone, AWESOME resources but I'm overwhelmed with so much! I don't even know where to start. As a semi-new teacher and new to STEM, my principal wants to come in and observe me in 4 days from now do a STEM lesson. Does anyone know a 5th grade lesson that I can try to get me (and my students) feet wet with the idea of STEM? I found a book I can intro the lesson with that NSTA recommended 'Papa's Mechanical Fish'. In the meantime, I will keep reading all this great information and maybe I'll find something interesting that may work for us newbies! Thank you for all the posts that I'm trying to read! Christine

Wendy Goldfein Wendy Goldfein 2335 Points

Christine, We have STEM lessons as well as references and resources that will help you on our website: http://www.getcaughtengineering.com We hope you will stop by and take a look at what we have created and gathered : ) Wendy S. Goldfein Get Caught Engineering

Hi Wendy, Thank you for your link. Your link lead me to your article in the NSTA magazine that lead me to many other great resources. I love what you are doing with the Family Engineering! Thank you for the information! I'm still reading it! Christine

Wendy Goldfein Wendy Goldfein 2335 Points

Glad to be of help Christine! As we create and discover STEM items we are continually adding to our Facebook page, Pinterest Board,and Website. To make sure you are notified when new items are added,please "like" and/or "follow" our sites and pages. We have lots of freebies, ideas, and links that we share: ) We are presenting a workshop at the Virginia Children's Engineering Conference in February if anyone is in the Richmond area. "Enchanted Engineering" will be on integrating fairy tales and engineering. We will also be part of a group presenting a workshop in Boston NSTA in April on family engineering. Wendy and Cheryl http://www.getcaughtengineering.com

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Wendy and Cheryl, again I say thank you. I follow you on Facebook and have been checking out your website since I first heard about it. I am so glad to see that it continues to grow on a regular basis. Facebook always seems to be the portal where I find your next new idea or resource and have enjoyed following the different links. I teach middle school, and even though many of the resources are intended for younger students, it is always so easy to adapt the idea upwards. I appreciate the time and effort you folks put into finding the quality resources and making them available for us all. I really enjoy your article, “Family Style Engineering,” December 2012, Science and Children. I would love to see you publish more, especially in Science Scope.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers