Forums / Elementary School Life Science / rant about new standards

Elementary School Life Science

rant about new standards

Author Post
Christian Ledesma Christian Ledesma 90 Points

Maybe I'm just tired, but this was my reaction to the standards today:

http://www.creatingquestions.com/2012/05/wheres-standard-for-getting-muddy.html

Ted Willard Ted Willard 3080 Points

Christian- It's great to see an elementary school teacher, particularly one focused on the early grades so interested in the standards. The perspectives you bring is essential to making sure that the final version of the standards will be better than the first draft. I've heard others voice the concern that some things may be shifted down from existing standards, and I agree it may be a cause for concern. I think it's important to keep in mind that the standards are intended as outcomes (what students are able to do at the end of instruction) and not as specifications for what teachers need to do during instruction. So I think you are as welcome as ever to make sure your kids get muddy. :) Ted Willard

Christian Ledesma Christian Ledesma 90 Points

Hi Ted, Thanks for your response and for the reminder that standards are the end-product. I think I'll have to take a few looks at the standards before I add to the comments. I was definitely tired and slightly overwhelmed on Friday night when I first looked at them. Thinking ahead, I immediately thought of the shift of materials, curriculum, and teachers' own understanding that will have to happen to make our students successful in meeting the standards. We're lucky in that we have just two science teachers at my school, so our "department" will be able to handle any changes pretty easily. I will read them more carefully in the upcoming weeks and make sure to log my comments. I already have noticed some changes in language that I would make. Thanks, Christian

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers