Forums

Forums / STEM / Encourage Women in STEM

STEM

Encourage Women in STEM

Author Post
Pradeep Sharma Pradeep Sharma 10 Points

Now, as the 21st-century economy completes a shift away from the industries of the past and toward information and technology-driven future.

Women are once again finding themselves excluded, despite already being a major part of developing that future.

The problem that’s causing it exists throughout the developed world, and it’s the fact that not enough women are pursuing careers in STEM related fields. The reasons for it are many, but the effect is dramatic.

Michelle Franko Michelle Franko 9920 Points

I teach elementary school and I try to help promote women in STEM through the use of picture books. I found two great books fictional to highlight women in STEM related fields are Rosie Revere, Engineer and Ada Twist, Scientist both written by Andrea Beaty and David Roberts. I also read the non-fiction book Solving the Puzzle Under the Sea by Robert Burleigh and Raúl Colón. Does anyone have any other great books or ideas that use to create positive women role models in STEM fields?

Rebecca Montgomery Rebecca Montgomery 600 Points

If you are familiar with the movie Hidden Figures, there is a great picture book that talks about the women computers employed by NASA. I enjoyed reading it and I think it would be great to incorporate into the elementary school STEM curriculum. There is also a chapter book version for older elementary grades if you would prefer something like that. Both books are sold by schoolastic, so you can get them with student book orders as well.

Courtney Behrle Courtney Behrle 235 Points

Have you visited A Might Girl website yet? They have a lot of resources-  https://www.amightygirl.com/

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers