Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Science to Elementary Kids

Early Childhood

Science to Elementary Kids

Author Post
Karen Adame Karen Adame 350 Points

Hello everyone I am a student in the education program at UTRGV, and I would like to know is what kind of science experiments or assignments is appropriate for children between grades kinder-2nd grade. I know in the older elementary grades we teach more about planets, gravity, earth, rocks, etc.. but what topics are age appropriate or how can I teach about the rocks for example and make it age appropriate for younger children?

Elyse Juarez Elyse Juarez 725 Points

Hi Karen! I am also a student in the education program, but at Wartburg College. A way you can teach a lesson about rocks is talking about the differences, the feeling, hardness, and maybe even smell. You could also compare colors too! An example to incorporate with this is maybe have students use a tool to scratch at the rocks, and they could experiement off that. I hope this helps!

Kristin Preast Kristin Preast 1670 Points

For making it appropriate for younger children I would go outside if there are rocks nearby. Have them or you gather different rocks and compare. I would also talk about water because it is an everyday essential. We are made of water, drink it, bathe, cook with it. There are many different forms of water like ice, rain, or snow.

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12158 Points

Karen,

Any type of hands-on experiences are ideal using the five senses. Consider observing, comparing, classifying, measuring, communicating, and predicting. Here are a few recources to pull from.

Have fun!

Attachments

Forest Schools (External Website)

How Does Your Garden Grow? (Article)

Butterfly Activity (External Website)

Outdoor Benefits (External Website)

What sparks curiosity, wonder, and awe? (video) (External Website)

Brittany Goss Brittany Goss 210 Points

Children at this age love to rock hunt! I think it would be a fun experiment for students to go on a scavenger hunt for rocks and bring their findings to class with them. They can record all of the characteristics of their rocks that they found. (the different colors, textures, and sizes). 

Anna Orr Anna Orr 200 Points

I think that a rock hunt is a great idea! It would be a great experience as well as experiment for the kids. They could use this fun activity as a way to learn more about textures, sizes, and other characteristics used in science class. 

Alisha Kihn Alisha Kihn 20 Points

There are many science topics that can be taught to elementary school kids. Some of the topics include Physical Science such as Simple Machines, Life Science such as The Body, Earth Science such as Environment and Space Science. National Geographic Kids also has a science lab where you can find science experiments, videos, articles and more. Flappy Bird

Juliana Diaz Juliana Diaz 500 Points

Hi Karen! I am a Pre-Service teacher and I also wonder the same thing, however based on some discussion I have read on here and the content I am learning, the biggest take away I have gotten is to use as many manipulatives as you can. Manipulatives help a child learn the concept to the best of their abilities, because they are what engages them at the end of the day. For rocks bringing in actual different types of rocks, maybe having different stations depending on the types of rocks really helps.

Emily Almaraz Emily Almaraz 360 Points

Hello Karen, I am also in the Education Program at The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley. As a future educator I can also relate with you about seeking various safe, age appropriate, and learning science experiments we can conduct with students. One experiment I feel 2nd grade students would consider interesting and fun would be rising water, where students begin to enhance their critical thinking skills. Young children begin to think like a scientist as they as themselves questions to why things occur throughout observations.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers