Forums

Forums / Earth and Space Science / Assistance Needed with the Development of an Integrated CRSI/STEM Lesson

Earth and Space Science

Assistance Needed with the Development of an Integrated CRSI/STEM Lesson

Author Post
Michael Wright Michael Wright 2840 Points

I am looking for any tips or sources of information on natural and man-made disasters (particularly around the Pacific "Ring of Fire"), which I can use for an integrated unit on utilizing technology to prevent the loss of property and life (i.e. how an autonomous robot can be used such as the triple disasters which recently struck Japan). The goal is to assist students with bringing together environmental science and technology, while also complimenting a lesson supporting English Language Learners through Culturally Responsive Sheltered Instruction. Some of the many goals include having the students 1) describe and give examples of natural disasters that have affected/are affecting those in the areas where they may have family members, 2) give examples of how a robot prototype could potentially assist those affected by past natural disasters, and 3) describe how the technology developed can improve the future lives of those living in areas that are frequently affected by disasters. I would like to have the students give demonstrations by developing models/prototypes that can function in a simulated environment which can be created in class. Any ideas about different types of lessons, components, manipulatives, and realia would be greatly appreciated.

Nancy Iaukea Nancy Iaukea 2710 Points

Wow Michael - that's ambitious! I was thinking that you can have the students track local earthquakes using the online USGS site for your area. They can see how many and how often quakes happen in their area. Another lesson I had my students do was to measure the distance from the current lava flow to where my students live. I live on the Big Island and a few years ago the lava changed course and was heading our way. Students measured the distance from their own homes from the lava. Very real world! One other suggestion would be to have your students interview older members of their families and communities on natural disasters that have occurred in your area in the past. We have had several devastating tsunamis in our area (Hilo) and the information they gather is priceless. Just some ideas. Hope they help..........

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers