Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Animals in the classroom

Elementary Science

Animals in the classroom

Author Post
Brennen Doebel Brennen Doebel 80 Points

Hello my name is  Brennen Doebel and I am a pre-service teacher at wartburg college. I am going to be teaching in the elementary school someday with a heavy emphasis on science, since I will have a science endorsement. I would like to have animals in my classroom to as help as a teaching tool and for the students. I would like to know if this will prove to be more of adistraction to my students than a teaching tool?

Brooke Craig Brooke Craig 2771 Points

Hi Brennen, 

My name is Brooke and I am also a preservice teacher. I have thought about this as well. I think having animlas in the classroom are not necessarily a bad thing, In fact, I think that this can benefit your class so much. Being able to discuss things such has hibernation, or habitats and even the life cycle. I think it would be a fantastic opportunity for your classroom. Thinking back to my experience in the classroom as a student. We never had animals in the classroom but it would have been nice to maybe do some research with what a turtle does, or its habitat. However, if your truly beleive this is going to be a distraction, I think the best way to avoid this is to set some expectations with having the animal but allow your students to help decide those expectations. The more they feel this is their classes pet, the more I think they will follow directions and expectations. 

Hope this helps a little bit! 

Brooke 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers