Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Creating Lessons that are Engaging

New Teachers

Creating Lessons that are Engaging

Author Post
Kaylee Nungaray Kaylee Nungaray 3404 Points

I am looking for ideas on how to create lesson plans for Kindergarten that are engaging yet not to hard and beyond their level. I want to have fun engaging them and building their knowledge, but not sure where to start in a hands on experiment that is in their "stretch zone." what are some hands on experiments you do with your Kindergartners and even first graders?

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Gabe has some great tips to use. You might also consider the NSTA books, Picture Perfect Science Series. There is one for K-2 and they are literature based. I love the entire series. I've used many of the lessons and it has enabled me to adapt other books with a STEM component.

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

I recently posted to a similar question that was about using inquiry in early years. You might want to check out the replies:
http://learningcenter.nsta.org/discuss/default.aspx?tid=D1OKzIBLAvo_E#89855
My suggestion would be to give them tools to observe and how to record observations and let their own imaginations send them on quests for knowledge!
Hope this helps!
Gabe Kraljevic

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers