Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / 5E Lesson: Characteristics of Animals TEK 2.10A help?

Elementary Science

5E Lesson: Characteristics of Animals TEK 2.10A help?

Author Post
Kim Ly Kim Ly 570 Points

Organisms and environments. The student knows that organisms resemble their parents and have structures and processes that help them survive within their environments. The student is expected to:

1.10A Investigate how the external characteristics of an animal are related to where it lives, how it moves, and what it eats.

For the explore portion, I'm planning on using this slide show and try to discuss what traits animals have to live in their environment.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cAky2dfjBumz020Xk3SyHHu-G2O8z1dLqXqN6Eg7pSs/edit?usp=sharing 

Veronica Perez Veronica Perez 815 Points

Hey Kim, I think that is is a great slide show that you will be using. It is super interactive and it seems fun for the students. I know I’m a couple of the slides you mentioned the word “features”, and I was wondering if the kids will know what you mean by that. Maybe that could be a vocabulary word that can be taught if you give a pre- assessment. That way the kids have a good background with the vocabulary you will use. Other than that, I think your slide show is cool and I got some ideas from it also. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Augustyn Jennifer Augustyn 785 Points

Hello Kim, great slideshow with many informative pictures! I agree with Veronica that asking 'what features would an elephant need to have if it lived in tundra' might confuse the children, instead, you might phrase it like 'why do you think elephants live in the grasslands and not in the tundra?' This way they can think of its features in relation to their true environment, then compare and justify why it would not 'survive' (I wonder if you could include this as a vocabulary word) in the other. And for those who might've guessed that the elephant does live in the tundra could correct their assumption from other students' evidence (thin skin, no fur, etc). Hoped this helped! Good luck on your lesson :)

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers