Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Community Building with STEM topics in Early Education

Early Childhood

Community Building with STEM topics in Early Education

Author Post
Grant Mears Grant Mears 210 Points

As a teacher, I am looking for new ways to build a community while incorporating STEM topics into the discussion. I am open to new ideas including earth sciences, nature, physics, and so forth. These could be stand alone ideas or concepts that develop into lessons. I look forward to reading about new community building ideas!

Peggy Ashbrook Margaret Ashbrook 10963 Points

Hi Grant, What kind of community are you building? A professional learning community of educators, or a community of discussion about science, technology, engineering and mathematics among your students? Peggy

Kanwal Shiwani Kanwal Shiwani 445 Points

Hi Grant, 

An activity that I have done in the past with students to build community building is 'String Lifter.' This activity requires about 18 strings tied to the same binder ring. The strings are tied in a way that allows 36 strings to dangle from one binder ring. The students hold at least one string (some may hold 2, some may hold 1). An object should be placed on top of the binder ring. The students should try to lift the object using the strings and moving around the classroom while making sure that the object does not fall. This will be a challenge for the students because they will have to work together to balance the object in the middle. With some students holding two strings, it will become difficult to manage the balance. Nonetheless, it is a great activity that allows for teamwork to build with STEM. This activity can be done with multiple grade levels. I hope you are able to give this activity a try! Goodluck!

Kani Shiwani

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers