Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Kinder- Measuring how heavy and light an object

Elementary Science

Kinder- Measuring how heavy and light an object

Author Post
Cinthia Martinez Cinthia Martinez 585 Points

I am a student teacher and I created a 5 E lesson plan for my kindergarten students. The topic is about how heavy and light an object is by using two objects at the same time. For their engage part, I would just have a student hold a light object such as a cotton ball and give me characteristics of it based on the five sense, except taste. Than the student will be able to use another object which would be heavier than the cotton ball and will eventually tell me that one is heavier than the other. For explore, I will give all students a cotton ball so they are able to explore and will teach them the vocabulary of hefting and how to do it. To further understand the content, I will show them a balance and practice measuring the objects hefted. For explain, an anchor chart will be displayed to fill out what is heavy and light using things they are familiar with such as glue, paper clip, etc. In elaborate, students will be able to use a balance by comparing objects and be able to tell me which one is heavier and which one is lighter. For evaluation, they will be given a worksheet with items and will color objects that are heavy in blue and objects that are light in red. Does it sound like something the students can be able to do for this lesson? Is there something I should change or add? Any recommendations are welcome. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers