Forums

Forums / Evaluation and Assessment / International Baccalaureate (IB) Assessments

Evaluation and Assessment

International Baccalaureate (IB) Assessments

Author Post
Kathryn Kennedy Kathryn Kennedy 9055 Points

Our school is an IB candidate school and we are hoping to become authorized either this spring or next fall. We are working on our unit planners, vertical and horizontal planning as well as creating solid summative assessments in which our unit guiding questions are fully explored and answered. I am the only science teacher for grades 9-12 and don't have been struggling creating my guiding questions and summative assessments. Does anybody teach at an authorized IB school that would be willing to share some resources or advice about creating the unit guiding question and then the summative assessments? My preps include: Chemistry, Environmental Science, Genetics, Biology and Physical Science. I have explored the OCC, but honestly, it's a nightmare! I look forward to advice and suggestions. Thanks!

Alyce Dalzell Alyce Dalzell 64075 Points

Hi Kathryn My daughter Elizabeth teaches at an IB school,amount of hours and work she puts in is insane. I asked her about the OCC website and also she said it is a nightmare! Her email address is [email protected] she has overseen the MYP science for a couple years and also works very closely with the HS part of MYP and the DP program. She said you can contact her and she will share resources with you. Thanks Alyce

Hi Alyce - Thank you so much for your daughter's email! I look forward to hearing from her and getting some advice about implementing IB in a charter school. Cheers! Kathryn

Wendy Zamzow Wendy Zamzow 740 Points

Wow! I can't believe you are teaching ALL of those IB courses. That doesn't even seem physically possible. I taught IB biology last year but moved to a school much closer to home this year. I came across two really good websites for bio that helped me out a great deal. Here there are: http://www.biologyforlife.com/ http://i-biology.net/

Thank you, thank you, thank you for those websites! Did you create any unit planners or summative assessments that you would want to share? That's where I'm really struggling; just coming up with all of those creative parts.

Wendy Zamzow Wendy Zamzow 740 Points

I have plans and summative assessment for topics 1-4. Our SL bio program is a two year program. I was supposed to have them again this year, but moved so the other IB science teacher took over. It was so sad to leave them. They even threw me a surprise going away party. I will never forget those kids. I am more than happy to share what I have with you. The actual presentation of my lessons were done in the promethean board software (interactive white board). So in order to view those you would need the software. But here's a few to get you started. Send me your e-mail so that I can e-mail you several files. Also, if you give me your address I could mail you a disc with everything I have on it.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers