Forums

Forums / New Teachers / Student Teaching- General Advice

New Teachers

Student Teaching- General Advice

Author Post
Jennifer Smilan Jennifer Smilan 293 Points

I am becoming increasingly nervous as my student teaching experience approaches. Is there any advice you can give me as someone who is entering one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my college career? Is there something your cooperating teacher told you that has stuck with you throughout your teaching years? What makes you believe your student teaching is going to make an excellent teacher one day? What can I do to impress my cooperating teacher/principal to guarantee a great reccommendation? Any advice, helpful stories, or encouragement is greatly appreciated and is welcomed! Thank you so much!! 

Gabe Kraljevic Gabe Kraljevic 4564 Points

There are several things I looked for in a student teacher that indicated that they were on the right track:

1. They cared about their students.  I would always ask them, 'What do you teach?' and they would answer, 'Science!', 'Biology', 'Grade 8' and I would just say...'I teach kids.'  First and foremost remember that you are teaching children.  So, remember to be caring and flexible.
  2. Thoughtful preparation. Nothing will destroy a lesson more than a lack of planning - particularly transitions. 
  3. Reflective and self-assessing. I would lead our lesson debriefs with 'So, what do you want to talk about?'  Rather than me point out things they needed to work on I wanted to see if they could spot those issues themselves.  I would tell them to ask these questions:  How was the class going?  What were the students doing?  Did they get your lesson?  How do you know?  How can you be sure? What next? How could you have done the same lesson three different ways?
  4. Had vision.  An assignment I gave student teachers was to describe what their perfect classroom looks like.  What's happening?  What are the students doing?  What are you doing? What's being accomplished.  This vision will help guide all your decision making. 
  5. Collegial and participated in the school community.  Teachers have to work together and should become integral parts of the school climate.  Getting involved in committees, teams, clubs, etc are all part of being part of that climate.
  6. Admit when they don't know something. I learned this one as a student teacher.  Don't ever try to bluff your way through a question.  If you don't know something be open about it but turn it into a learning experience.  Either model that you're a life-long learner and go find the answers or have the students find the answers.  

Things I did NOT consider important:

1. Created all their own lessons and handouts from scratch. A lot of bright and intelligent people have created fantastic lessons and activities that are out their for you to use - and many of those people are in the school you're in.  HOWEVER, never use something without going over it with a fine-toothed comb and making sure it fits your goals perfectly.  Modify those that are close.  Only create something new if you can't find something to use or modify.  
  2. They were content geniuses.  Being the encyclopedia in front of the class giving lectuers is not the greatest model for teaching kids.
  3. Wanted to be friends with the students.  Caring and befriending are not the same thing. Teachers need to take on the role of a parent - sometimes making tough decisions or making demands that friends might not.
  4. Had perfect lessons.  Hmmm...not really possible so there is no expectation that this will happen.  As a young teacher remember to not be too hard on yourself.  I had a phrase about the first year of teaching:  You will have two types of lessons - those that bomb and those that bomb BIG!  BUT, be reflective and find better ways to do everything. 

Hope this helps!

- Gabe Kraljevic

Jennifer Smilan Jennifer Smilan 293 Points

This is an extremely helpful reply! 

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me.

All the best,

Jenny

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers