Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / Special Education

Early Childhood

Special Education

Author Post
Cynthia Sanchez Cynthia Sanchez 190 Points

As an aspiring special education educator, I understand that all students are different and learn differenty. They all have different strengths and weakness, and a big concern for me is putting together a lesson plan that will work well with all students. So, my question is what are some tips or techniques that i can incorporate into a lesson that all students can be able to do learn with. 

Katherine Gonzalez Katherine Gonzalez 145 Points

Hello!

This is my first year teaching Special Education, but I was a TA for about a year and a half. I observed the different techniques that teachers used when teaching Science. One program that is really helpful is, Unique. They offer many resources and in the readings they offer different reading levels. As you get to know your students, it will become easier to know the students' levels and you will be able to give them different worksheets. 

Hope this helps! 

Amanda Fraley Amanda Fraley 905 Points

Hello!

Have you heard of Universal Design for Learning (UDL)?  This is a framework based around including accommodations and modifications in your lesson planning, rather than introducing them to your plan after the lesson has been created! I've found this style of lesson plan creation allows you to reach all students, without you doing much 'extra' work to give students other activities or different worksheets!  Accommodations can help all students, not just those who have special needs. 

http://www.cast.org/our-work/about-udl.html

There are tons of videos on YouTube showing UDL in action.  Hope this helps!

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Hello fellow teacher,

I am replying you behalf of Funsciencedemos YouTube Channel that is home to hundreds of free videos for ideas for teachers and students to recreate in the classroom. Science is our passion and we are so excited to share our engaging, kid-teacher-parent friendly, and interactive lessons with you to use in the classroom or at home. Our videos adhere to the common core science standards, encompass a wide variety of science concepts, and are specifically geared toward younger learners. All videos on the FunScienceDemos channel come with an English subtitle that can be translated into almost any language, making science lessons accessible virtually any place in the world.  

We encourage you check it out and spread the word! We post new science videos once a month, please subscribe our channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/funsciencedemos

Sincerely,

The FunScienceDemos Team

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers