Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Kindergarten Science Experiments

Elementary Science

Kindergarten Science Experiments

Author Post
Kylie Lesher Kylie Lesher 250 Points

Hello! My name is Kylie Lesher, and I am a junior majoring in Elementary Education at Penn State Harrisburg. My goal is to teach kindergarten. I am looking for suggestions on interactive and engaging experiments that I can do with my future students. Since I will be teaching young children, the experiments need to be safe and easy. One area that I am really interested in is animals because I have pet ducks and would love to teach my students about them. Thank you!

Mary Lynn Hess Mary Hess 12158 Points

Hi Kylie,

First of all, congratulations on your accomplishments! Teaching is such a rewarding profession. 

Kindergarteners are so much fun to teach. They are so curious about everything. With that in mind, find things that capture their interest.

What about finding some literature books to drive your science instruction. Here are a few of my favorites:

* The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle - order caterpillars or find them in your environment to bring into the classroom to watch go through their life cycle.

* Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! by Denise Fleming - incorporate the Engineering Design Process by reading the first part of the book, then have students talk about Mr. McGreeley's problem, brainstorm ways to solve his problem and build a prototype, students use pop-up bunnies to test their designs.

* Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw - students observe and take notes of plastic sheep in a jeep/car using different inclines (wood, sandpaper, etc.).

* The Curious Garden by Peter Brown - plant seeds and watch them grow. 

Have fun!

Mary Lynn

Attachments

How Does Your Garden Grow? (Article)

Butterfly Activity (External Website)

Engaging Science Experiments (External Website)

Wonder-Full Thinking (Article)

Soil Texture 5E (Article)

Nydia Lozano Nydia Lozano 625 Points

Hello, I will also like to teach kindergarten, and there are so many hands-on activities we can do with them. One of them that I would like to apply to my students since they enter the first day of school is by planting a seed by observing how it grows throughout the year.

Ganry Glise Ganry Glise 30 Points

Such a nice tips!

Ganry Glise Ganry Glise 30 Points

My son has a similar system and he's really happy little student

Daisy Walors Daisy Walors 10 Points

I would also add some lessons which are aimed at critical thinking development. That's so important in such an age. I found a lot of useful info here https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/critical-thinking/ during preparing an abstract for the uni. Maybe you'll find something useful there too. And I'm also interested in your final way of education and the results. Maybe you'll share them with us? :) 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers