Forums

Forums / Early Childhood / 5ELessonPlan- Non-living vs Living

Early Childhood

5ELessonPlan- Non-living vs Living

Author Post
Clara Smith Clara Smith 200 Points

Hello friends,

I have created a rough draft version of a 5ELesson Plan about Living vs Non-Living things and have a question that I hope to get some clarification on. 

For 1st grade, would you say teaching them descriptions of living things are (they would be in DAP terminology of course)

1. Movement
  2. Respiration
  3. Sensitivity 
  4. Growth
  5. Reproduction
  6. Excretion
  7. Nutrition

OR should I stick to more simple/basic depictions:

1. Movement
  2. Growth
  3. Reproduction
  4. Nutrients
  5. Breathe

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Yolanda Rodriguez Yolanda Rodriguez 330 Points

Hello, I would suggest you teach the basics first and then develop to more challenging material. If your students have a full understanding of the basics including movement, growth, and reproduction system as a whole than I would say you should expand. I challenged my kindergarten students and taught them respiration and nutrition. I think as long as you explain the complex ideas in a simple way that students are able to fully understand the concept, you will be fine. Make sure you use visuals such as videos, slides, drawings, etc., since visuals are helpful in demonstrating concepts. 

Good Luck!

Katherine Gonzalez Katherine Gonzalez 145 Points

Hello! This would mostly depend on your students. If your students are a bit advanced then you can go ahead and work with the challenging words, but if you are unsure then I would suggest that you begin with the basic concepts. Once you see that the students have grasped the basic concepts then you can move on to the more challenging words. Songs are usually a great way to get students to learn, especially the little ones. Visuals are helpful because they will get a better understanding of the concept. Hope this helps! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers