Forums

Forums / Life Science / New Teachers

Life Science

New Teachers

Author Post
Johanna Barrera Johanna Barrera 910 Points

What are some engaging activities for 3rd grade about life science?  Thanks!

Pamela Dupre Pamela Dupre 92369 Points

Have you ever dissected owl pellets? I've done it with 2nd grade through 5th grade. https://www.homesciencetools.com/a/owl-pellet-dissection-project You need to order them on line so they're sterilized or there may be access to some within the science department in your district. I would teach about raptors, owls the first day. Where do they live, what do they eat? Then the 2nd day we do the dissection lab. Get non-latex gloves and goggles for this. I have a bone chart and ziploc baggies they label their team's name on the bag. The third day I invite someone who knows about bones like a dentist, or a biology student from the local university. They help us determine which bones belong where on the chart. You can sometimes use white glue to glue the entire skeleton on some black construction paper. For 4th and 5th grade we learn how to use a dichotomous key. There are many other really great engaging lessons for life science. I think many teachers are comfortable with plants and do those types of lessons and that is good. You can do the body systems and make model lungs with 1 liter bottles, some balloons, and straws. Look up NSTA's Picture Perfect Science Books and they have some great lessons with trade books to start you off. If you do owl dissection you could use the book, Stellaluna, even though it is mainly about bats, it teaches about nocturnal animals, herbivore vs carnivore etc. I hope this is helpful.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers