Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Talking Trash

Elementary Science

Talking Trash

This topic discusses these resources

Author Post
Madison Utley Madison Utley 1240 Points

I have recently been really interested in learning about pollution and global warming. It is crazy to think that I am 21 years old and I am just now really learning how this is impacting the Earth we live on. I think that it will be a good idea to introduce this to students in elementary school. The article presents an inquiry unit for fourth- and fifth-grade classrooms designed to build students’ understanding of trash pollution, discover its environmental effects, and communicate how people in their community can reduce those effects. If we can introduce this to our students, show them the importance of it, and make a difference in our classroom, they will continue to make a difference as they get older. 

Caitlin Dreismeier Caitlin Dreismeier 360 Points

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE I love the idea of teaching about pollution and our environmental effects at such a young age. It allows us to teach strong, good habits early on so the students carry them throughout their lives. If everyone began teaching children about how they effect the earth, we could create a huge change in the world. We must give them the ability to understand how the world works around them and how their actions truly can affect it in order for them to have the skills to help and fix it in the future. Children are our future; we must give them the tools to succeed and change the world. 

Kaeli Myers Kaeli Myers 305 Points

I honestly did not know what to expect when I clicked on this forum. The title caught my eye, I thought it was kind of funny. However, I love the idea of teaching younger students about their effects on the environment and how they can reduce their waste. This could be a really great way to get students to think about other ways that they can reduce their amount of waste, not just by reducing physical waste. The activities seemed very impactful that would hopefully stir up all kinds of emotions for students to challenge themselves to do better. Not only does this lesson teach students about how large of an impact they truly have, but also teaches them to become advocates for topics that they are passionate about.

Kylie Surber Kylie Surber 600 Points

The title of this article is honestly what caught my attention and drew me to want to read it. I didn't really know what I was going to read, but figured it had something to do with reducing waste and maybe recycling. I thought the idea of teaching younger students how they can impact the environment was a good idea and also teach them ways that they can reduce their waste in their lives. I felt that these activities could really get students to think and maybe challenge them to make a change in their lives to reduce any type of waste, not soley physical. This article can really allow students to reflect and become advocate for the cause of reducing waste in their everyday lives. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers