Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Uncovering Student Ideas in Science

General Science and Teaching

Uncovering Student Ideas in Science

Author Post
Gail Shimabukuro Gail Shimabukuro 1965 Points

I am wondering if anyone has used this NSTA resource with elementary students: "Uncovering Student Ideas in Science, Volume 1: 25 Formative Assessment Probes" The reviews posted assert it is a wonderful formative assessment to uncover science misconceptions and to plan next steps with science lessons. The teachers who posted reviews did not indicate the grade level, and I am wondering if anyone has used this with elementary students. Although the description says it is "loaded with classroom friendly features" there is no preview of the probes to judge whether it is appropriate for my class. If you have used this resource, please respond! Thank you!

Claire Reinburg Claire Reinburg 495 Points

Hello, Gail,

You may want to read the sample probe and chapter from Uncovering Student Ideas in Science, Volume 1, in the Science Store. On that page in the Store, look for the link next to 'Read Inside' and click to download the free chapter. The free chapter and probe is 'Can It Reflect Light?' and includes Teacher Notes for the elementary, middle, and high school levels. The introduction from the author also gives a lot of background.

Claire

Patricia Rourke Patricia Rourke 45925 Points

Gail, Although these sites list misconceptions in science and leave the probing, uncovering, and amending to the teacher, they are useful. 1. http://www.physics.montana.edu/physed/misconceptions/ Physics Misconceptions from some folks at the University of Montana 2.

I had to interrupt my previous post and search for this article. It introduces you to several vetted programs of excellence on which some of the more current probes are written. http://mvhs.shodor.org/activities/physics/oscillatingf/science/TeachSt.htm check out C3P Student Preconceptions Science Preconceptions - Operation Physics these are several of the early compilations of preconceptions/ misconceptions that focus on students of all ages. This is the Operations Physics homepage http://web.cvcaroyals.org/~rheckathorn/operationphysicshomepage.htm This is an excellent resource site. ~patty

Maureen Stover Maureen Stover 41070 Points

Hi Gail,

I've attached a free chapter from Uncovering Student Ideas in Astronomy 45 New Formative Assessments Probes. I realize this is not the specific volume that your question is about, but Page Keeley has set up all of her formative assessment books in a similar manner, so this chapter will give you a good idea of how the probes look and work.

Each assessment has a student response sheet, followed by teacher notes. The teacher notes provide you with content background, related Benchmarks for Science Literacy and National Education Education Standards broken down by grade-level, and ideas for instruction and assessment.

What grade-level are you teaching? I taught science lab for K-4, and I used chapters from this series in all grade levels. Some of the formative assessments may be difficult for younger elementary students to read. When I found an assessment that I wanted to use with the younger grades, I would modify the student response sheet to work for the grade level I was teaching. Page's teacher notes make it easy to understand the concept and her suggestions for instruction make it easy to modify the assessments for younger students.

Hope that helps! If you have anymore questions about how I used the assessments with elementary students, just let me know.

Maureen

Attachments

Shorter Days in Winter (Book Chapter)

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Hi Gail, I have used these probes successfully with my middle school students and have heard from them they used them in elementary school, generally starting around 4th grade already. I asked them if it bothered them that they are using them again, and they said, “No, I remember the question, but not my answer. I am older and smarter now, so the question is different because I have more information in my head to answer from.” I facilitate National Board Candidates and have found the prompts to be excellent tools for teachers of all ages to use to determine misconceptions. These prompts are especially useful for elementary teachers because many do not have a lot of training or background in Science. All of the teachers I’ve worked with have had nothing but positive comments on their use. I’ve even had K-3 teachers share they have used the prompts as discussion questions where students share their answers verbally while they take notes on student responses. I look forward to hearing how you may have used them with your students.

Thank you all for the positive recommendations! I am looking forward to using the probes as I teach a unit on the characteristics of light to my 5th grade class. I will post again after I try it out. I also appreciated the links to related resources. Any information will help me as I plan and teach this unit. Although I have been teaching for awhile, this is my first year in this grade. I am enjoying the change from primary grades, however, the challenge is becoming familiar with the 5th grade standards and concepts.

Hi All! This is an update of the "Uncovering Student Ideas in Science Probe" that I purchased from the NSTA store. I used one of the probes dealing with concepts of light: Can it Reflect Light? This probe lists a variety of objects such as water, a rock, mirror, sand, crumpled paper, rusty nail, etc. Students then identified which ones reflected light. Students also explained their thinking and tried to find a "rule" for reflecting light. While this "probe" lived up to its name and I discovered the thought processes and misconceptions of my students, I especially enjoyed the discussions that the probe generated. As students agreed (and more often disagreed) with each other about which objects reflected light, I believe the animated "arguments" defending their ideas helped to clarify their thinking. The "I wonder" questions that ensued from the discussions were a segway to the investigation that followed. I think students were able to make insightful connections because the "probe" caused them to pause, reflect and question their belief about how objects reflect light. Thank you to all who recommended this resource! Gail

Gail, Thank you so much for this sharing on how your students learned from the probe and now wonder a bit about the nature of light. It is classroom stories like this that encourage teachers to try new strategies with their students. Thank you so much for being a mentor for others. We look forward to hearing from you again as you proceed in teaching about light. ~patty

Sandy Gady Sandy Gady 43175 Points

Gail, thank you for sharing how your students benefitted from the Uncovering prompt. I know I was a little leery the first couple of times I used the prompts. I kept thinking, “What if I do them wrong?” “What if students don’t share?” “What if nobody says anything?” I have used these now since they first came out and can honestly say, I’ve never been disappointed. There is always rich discussions amongst students and I always learn more about what my students know and how they arrived at their answers. I look forward to seeing how you use the prompts throughout the year.

Sandy and Patty, The opportunity to “chat” with experienced science teachers such as yourselves has been an added bonus in my pursuit of specific science knowledge. Just as Sandy related about her experiences in the classroom, I too was leery about sharing in this chat forum. I did feel a little intimidated and I thought, “What if no one replies?” Thankfully, that proved to be unfounded. I just wanted to say "Thank you!" for your sincere interest in broadening teachers’ science teaching! Gail

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers