Forums

Forums / New Teachers / How to be prepared?

New Teachers

How to be prepared?

Author Post
Andrea Diaz Andrea Diaz 465 Points

Hello everyone, I hope you guys are doing great. I'm currently a student in the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, I'm studying to become a Bilingual Educator. Sometimes thinking about being the best teacher I could be for my future students scares me but motivates me at the same time because I know that I need to be well prepared for them. Therefore, my question is, what takes a teacher to be fully prepared? Do you think it’s just understanding the material of each subject or is there any more attributes, morals, and strategies to be an educator? Please share your ideas in classroom management, attitudes in the classroom, materials, knowing the importance of being a teacher, the students, etc.

I wish you guys the best in your future career, take care. 

Clarissa Gutierrez Clarissa Gutierrez 200 Points

Hello Andrea, I too am a student pursuing a degree Bilingual Education. My mother in law has been a bilingual elementary teacher for over 20 years now and her favorite piece of advice to me is to be positive and do not be afraid. Students react well to positive energy and take one day at a time, we all start some where. Goodluck to you this semester and for the rest of the years to come. 

Samantha Gonzalez Samantha Gonzalez 535 Points

Hello Andrea, I am also a student in the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley studying to pursue a career as a Bilingual Educator. At times I feel the same as you do, it frightens me to be in a classroom and not meet my own expectations. I honestly think that a well prepared teacher is one who understands the material of every subject and is always willing to try new things and will practice any accommodations necessary in order to be successful and meet their students needs. 

Jessica Castaneda Jessica Castaneda 530 Points

Hello Andrea, we both attend at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, I am also looking forward in pursuing in become a bilingual educator for elementary students. I almost feel the same way as you, I usually get nervous but, in the end, we overcome our fears and it is always best to carry a positive attitude around ourselves and especially in the classroom. We make mistakes sometimes, but we learn from them in our years of experience as beginner teachers. I hope you find yourself well in this time around and I wish you a successful and positive semester! 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers