Forums

Forums / Informal Science / Discourse/Syntax

Informal Science

Discourse/Syntax

Author Post

Hello,

My name is Andrea and I am a student at Dominican University. I am pursuing a career in Elementary Education and I need help on how I can refine my discourse/syntax. Any tips will be appreciated! 

Language Function: 

Students will observe the behaviors of multiple objects as they are affected by gravity.

Students will explain the result of the class experiment with the support of their observations.

Syntax:

On their assessment and in their small groups, students will use vocabulary words in writing and verbally to make predictions and explain their observations.

Discourse:

“The paper will hit the ground last because it has more air resistance.”

“Gravity pulls on everything with the same force.”

“My hypothesis is that the paper ball will fall faster than the sheet of paper.”

Standards:

NGSS: (3-PS2-2) Make observations and/or measurements to produce data to serve as the basis for evidence for an explanation of a phenomenon or test a design solution.

We included a vocabulary word bank and their definitions on the students' activity sheet. After today's lesson, I went through the activity sheet and included sentence stems for my students to describe and explain their observations. 'I observed____________________.' 'I think this happened because _________________.'

Marlenee Villasenor Marlenee Villasenor 617 Points

Hi Andrea!

My name is Marlenee Villasenor and I am also a senior in the Elementary Education program at SIU.

First of all, I think your approach of providing a vocabulary bank in an activity worksheet is a great choice because your students will be able to observe the way you want them to use this particular vocabulary in your lesson and use this activity to orally express the vocabulary you intend to use during this lesson. The examples you provided in the discourse is what you're expecting your students to be conversing about and I honestly can say that it is very likely that they will use this type of vocabulary if it is expressed in someway in your activity. This discourse and syntax are great for small groups so awesome job!

As for whole group instruction, it would be a be difficult for your students to talk about it if the whole group instruction is at the beginning of the lesson and before small group work. If you want your students to use this language before working on their worksheet or atleast understand where these words are provided from, you would have to provide them in another way. One example could be you as the educator orally providing these vocabulary words and using some explanation of your lesson with these words. For example,

'The students will first listen to some examples of how to use these vocabulary words into their conversation by providing verbal support by the teacher and explanations of how to make proper predictions and observations'

I hope my advice helps in some way! I still think that you did an great job with your academic language in the lesson. 

-Marlenee

Thank you so much for your help. It really helped clear things up for me. Have a great day!

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers