Forums

Forums / Elementary Science / Using Children's Literature for a science lesson on plants

Elementary Science

Using Children's Literature for a science lesson on plants

Author Post
Elizabeth Seidl Elizabeth Seidl 430 Points

Good evening NSTA community!

I am a preservice teacher and I am planning a 7E plant lesson for a first grade classroom.  I will be using a children's literature book to start my lesson of with.  The book I will be using is called, The Bad Seed, by Jory John. I will be doing an activity where the first grade students need to identify and compare the parts of a plant, and I wanted to do something unique and not just an activity where the students draw a flower and label the different parts.  My question is, What is another way to have the students do a fun hands on activity to identify and compare the different parts of a plant?  I would also be greatful if anyone has any recommendations of NSTA articles that could assist me in planning my lesson.  Thank you in advance and I am looking forward to everyones tips and ideas!

Hannah Roeding Hannah Roeding 2000 Points

Sounds like a fun way to start off your lesson! Another way you could have students represent the different parts of the plant is by having them get into groups and act out the different parts! It is a fun and memorable way for students to work together and get the hands on experience. One student could be the roots and make slurping sounds to suck up the water while the leaves or petals turn to catch the sunlight. This could be a very fun way for students to get to drive their own learning by making up how they want to act it out. Since it is so fun and hands on, they are sure to remember it! 

Samantha Wagner Samantha Wagner 270 Points

How about having the students make a 3d model of a plant to label using pipe cleaners, straws, felt, etc instead of just having them label a flat piece of paper or construction paper? The model could be glued to a piece of cardstock to give it more structure. I spent a long time thinking up creative activities for my literature book for the same lesson. My lesson will be pulled from 'Where the Wild Things Are', and I think I'm going to have students decide what habitat each wild thing would belong to according to their traits, and have them draw a picture of the habitat with an explanation. I am also searching for NSTA articles related to basing creative and fun science lessons off of children's literature. I'll let you know if I find any!

Morgan Starbeck Morgan Starbeck 1575 Points

You could have students make a model with different craft supplies, and have them talk about what each part is. They could use yarn or string for the roots and a straw for the stem. Then give them different options for the petals and leaves. 

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers