Forums

Forums / General Science and Teaching / Female Science Role Models

General Science and Teaching

Female Science Role Models

Author Post
Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

I just wanted to pass this along. There is a lot of buzz around the Homo naledi discovery and the 6 "Underground Astronauts" that recovered the fossils. I think this is a golden opportunity to introduce some amazing women to our students, although a lot of the news media has reduced them to nameless "skinny scientists". I wrote a blog post yesterday that highlights each of the women with some links and a great series of skype interviews between each of them and a college professor. http://www.shareitscience.com/2015/09/who-are-underground-astronauts.html I know time is precious, but if you have time at least skip to the end of the interviews where he asks if there is anything else they want people to know about the expedition. There are a lot of great responses to this question, things like how big a team and all the different types of jobs required for scientific discovery and how you can make a discovery at any age. Very inspiring. Hope you find it helpful or at least interesting. You'll find some other resources for inspiring girls in science at my Pinterest board: https://www.pinterest.com/shareitscience/girl-power-women-in-science/

Jennifer Browning jennifer browning 1965 Points

It is great to see women in the field of science at work! They seemed to enjoy their line of work and were really excited at the discoveries they recovered.

Sarah Benton Feitlinger Sarah Benton 1775 Points

Very true! I found their interviews very inspiring!

George Mehler George Mehler 1575 Points

Sarah, Thank you for sharing this post! The more female role models we have for young women, the more women we will have interested in the field. Best, Dr. George Mehler Ed.D., Temple University @FunScienceDemos and FunScienceDemos on YouTube

Thanks! I totally agree.

Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers